FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – June 15, 2020
Truman Braslaw, VDH Public Information Officer, Truman.firstname.lastname@example.org
VDH Office of Vital Records to Reopen Walk-In Customer Service Lobby, Expand Hours
Henrico Lobby Reopening with COVID-19 Precautions on June 17th
(Richmond, Va.) — To provide the public with same-day services, the VDH Office of Vital Records (OVR) will reopen its customer service lobby with expanded weekday hours starting June 17. The lobby is located at 2001 Maywill Street Richmond, VA 23230.
The Office of Vital Records provides birth certificates, death certificates, and other official records. OVR closed its public lobby on March 18 in response to COVID-19, providing services by mail. Reopening will allow OVR to resume same-day service. Expanded weekday hours will be 7 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
“Safety is our number one concern,” said Director of the Office of Vital Records Seth Austin. “We’re finding creative ways to meet our customers’ needs in this new environment.”
OVR will take precautions for the safety of customers and staff:
- Limiting the total number of lobby occupants to ten
- Reducing the number of chairs in the lobby and spacing them out six feet
- Allowing only the customer needing service to enter; no friends or family
- Cleaning high-touch surfaces throughout the day
- Requiring OVR employees to wear gloves and masks
OVR will offer two new services on a trial basis to reduce foot traffic in the building:
An application drop-box outside the lobby
- OVR staff will process applications same-day and mail them back to customers the following day.
- These applications will require a photocopy of the customer’s ID and payment by either check or money order.
Two-hour turnaround for regular applications
- Customers will be able to drop off a completed application at the front desk and then return after two hours to receive their certificate.
- This process will require the customer to show ID and pay by cash, check, or money order.
Customers can use both new services to obtain certified copies of vital records but not to amend records. Walk-in service will be available for amendments. Customers can continue to mail printed Vital Records applications or use OVR’s official third-party service provider for fully online applications with expedited processing and shipping options.