Our public health nurses and health educators are available to provide program information, educational presentations, and community classes about the following program areas. Call 594-7311 for more information.
Child Safety and Injury Prevention Program
Safety Seat Distribution and Education Program
This program is offered free of charge to eligible families statewide. Classes are scheduled twice a month by appointment. Each participant has hands on training for proper installation of a convertible or booster car seat, which is provided free of charge (one per child) upon class completion.
To qualify for a free child safety seat, the applicant must be:
- A resident of Virginia and the Peninsula Health District. If parent is not a U.S. citizen, the baby will be eligible after birth.
- Medicaid, WIC, or FAMIS eligible or meet program income eligibility guidelines. Military applicants must meet income guidelines and have resided in Virginia for a minimum of 6 months (proof of income/LES and residency required).
- A parent, legal guardian, or foster parent of the child (proof required – court documentation, etc.).
- Applying for a newborn who weighs 5 pounds or more or for a child seven years old or younger (as long as the child’s height and weight the program’s safety seat manufacturer guidelines). Applications prior to an infant’s birth are accepted during the last trimester of pregnancy (months 7–9). Twins require doctor’s note on prescription pad/letterhead or ultrasound with name and date imprinted on the picture border, otherwise only one (1) seat will be issued.
- Must attend a safety seat installation and use class.
- Sign a waiver of liability release form.