SEPTEMBER 27, 2021- CDC and FDA recently announced that some individuals who received the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine now qualify for booster shots based on their age, medical condition, or employment or residential setting. Following these new guidelines, Richmond and Henrico Health Districts (RHHD) will open booster appointments starting today. Qualified individuals can make an appointment anytime after six months following the date of their second dose of the Pfizer vaccine.
“We welcome individuals seeking boosters to make an appointment at one of our clinics,” explains Joanna Cirillo, Public Health Nurse Supervisor at RHHD. “We will also continue to ensure there are more than enough opportunities for individuals who haven’t received their first series to walk up to all our clinics… individuals who are not yet vaccinated are very vulnerable to severe COVID-19 outcomes.”
Booster-eligible individuals include those who received their second dose of the Pfizer vaccine at least six months ago and fall into one of the following categories:
- Individuals 65 years or older
- Individuals 18 years or older living in a long-term care setting
- Individuals aged 50–64 years with underlying medical conditions that put them at high risk for severe COVID-19
- Individuals aged 18–49 years with underlying medical conditions that put them at high risk for severe COVID-19 based on their individual benefits and risks
- Individuals aged 18-64 years who are at increased risk for COVID-19 exposure and transmission because of occupational or institutional setting based on their individual benefits and risks
COVID-19 vaccines are safe and effective. If a person has questions about whether or not a booster is right for them based on their individual circumstances, they should consult their healthcare provider.
RHHD offers boosters by appointment only, but other providers such as pharmacies may take walk-ins. Individuals seeking boosters who walk up to an RHHD event without an appointment will be scheduled for an appointment, but same day appointments are not guaranteed. RHHD requests individuals getting a booster shot bring their vaccination card; no other documentation to prove eligibility will be required.
To find a booster shot, visit vax.rchd.com or call 804-205-3501.
About Richmond and Henrico Health Districts: RHHD are sister public health agencies serving Richmond’s and Henrico’s communities. Our mission is to expose and address the root causes of health disparities, protect health by preventing the spread of disease, and build health equity by partnering with communities and working collaboratively across sectors.