Apply to the Program
Thank you for visiting the 5 Star Breastfeeding application link, the application is currently under review to ensure that it aligns with the updated USA Baby Friendly guidelines and application. While the application is being reviewed, no applications will be accepted. The application will be available by January 4, 2019 and we encourage you to check back at that time.
There will also be some new features added to this web page to provide technical assistance related to each of the 10 steps for the application process. Deadlines and review boards will also be changing for 2019 and moving forward, the new application deadlines will be June 30 and Dec 31 each year. Reviews will happen in the months of July and January.
More details will be forthcoming, in the meantime if you have additional questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
The Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding (Described in more detail within the application)
- Have a written breastfeeding policy that is routinely communicated to all health care staff;
- Train all health care staff in skills necessary to implement this policy;
- Inform all pregnant women about the benefits and management of breastfeeding;
- Help all mothers initiate breastfeeding within one hour of birth;
- Show mothers how to breastfeed and maintain lactation even if they should be separated from their infants;
- Give newborns no food or drink other than breastmilk, unless medically indicated;
- Practice rooming-in allow mothers and infants to remain together-24 hours per day;
- Encourage breastfeeding on demand;
- Give no artificial teats or pacifiers; and
- Foster breast-feeding support groups and refer mothers to them on discharge from the hospital or clinic.