Apply to the Program
Thank you for visiting the 5 Star Breastfeeding application page. The application is currently under review to ensure that it aligns with the updated USA Baby Friendly guidelines and application. While the application is under review, no applications are accepted. The application will be available by July 2019. We encourage you to check back at that time.
There will also be some new features added to this web page to provide technical assistance related to each of the 10 steps for the application process.
Deadlines and review boards will also be changing. Moving forward, the new application deadlines will be December 31 and June 30 of each year. Reviews happen during the months of January and July. The next application deadline will be December 31, 2019, as this program undergoes some changes and improvements. January 2020 will be the next time applications begin review.
The Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding (Described in more detail within the application)
- Have a written breastfeeding policy that is routinely communicated to all health care staff;
- Train all health care staff in skills necessary to implement this policy;
- Inform all pregnant women about the benefits and management of breastfeeding;
- Help all mothers initiate breastfeeding within one hour of birth;
- Show mothers how to breastfeed and maintain lactation even if they should be separated from their infants;
- Give newborns no food or drink other than breastmilk, unless medically indicated;
- Practice rooming-in allow mothers and infants to remain together-24 hours per day;
- Encourage breastfeeding on demand;
- Give no artificial teats or pacifiers; and
- Foster breast-feeding support groups and refer mothers to them on discharge from the hospital or clinic.