The five star program awards a star for every two steps achieved in the Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding as defined by the World Health Organization (WHO) and Baby Friendly USA.
The VA MCBFD Program encourages maternity centers across the state to promote and support breastfeeding one step at a time.
VA MCBFD Program is Unique
- Recognition is awarded incrementally (for every 2 steps attained) to help support a continuum of improvement
- It is local to Virginia
- No fees associated with the designation
- No site visits required
Benefits of Participating
- Improving the health of the mother-baby and dad
- Increasing satisfaction with maternity care services in your facility
- Building momentum in your facility to move across the continuum towards being breastfeeding-friendly
- Public recognition of your efforts towards becoming breastfeeding-friendly
- Free marketing to the public about your efforts
- Contributing to the improvement of breastfeeding initiation, duration and exclusivity in Virginia