June 20, 2014
(WINCHESTER, Va.) The Lord Fairfax Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Council, Inc. presented its 2014 Regional EMS awards and paid tribute to the dedicated EMS personnel in the region June 11 at the Front Royal Fire Department.
“The EMS providers and agencies that we recognize every year don’t ask for us to recognize them. They don’t do it for the accolades; they go quietly about their business of saving lives every single day. But it is important for us to recognize these amazing and selfless individuals because without their service and sacrifice, our citizens would have no one to rely on in their time of great need,” said Tracey McLaurin, executive director of the Lord Fairfax EMS Council.
Recipients of this year’s regional awards will have the chance to compete for the prestigious 2014 Governor’s EMS Awards, which will be announced at the Virginia EMS Symposium’s Annual Awards Ceremony, Nov. 8 in Norfolk. Winners will be presented with a trophy and a certificate signed by the Governor.
“It’s an honor to celebrate the high level of excellence demonstrated by those within the Virginia EMS System. Their dedication and commitment to serve at a moment’s notice, often times putting their own lives on the line, is greatly valued and worthy of recognition,” said Gary Brown, director of the Virginia Office of EMS.
The 2014 Lord Fairfax EMS Council Regional Award Recipients:
- Excellence in EMS – Carroll L. Richardson, Winchester Fire & Rescue Dept.
- Outstanding EMS Administrator – Jonathan D. Henschel, Winchester Fire & Rescue Dept.
- Outstanding EMS Agency – Greenwood Volunteer Fire & Rescue Company
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS Health & Safety – Charles F. Brogan, Front Royal Volunteer Fire Dept.
- Nurse with Outstanding Contribution to EMS – Perry S. McAlister, RN, Winchester Medical Center
- Physician with Outstanding Contribution to EMS – Dr. Robert L. Harvey, Winchester Medical Center
- Outstanding Prehospital Educator – Gary A. Dalton, Woodstock Volunteer Rescue Squad
- Outstanding Prehospital Provider – Raymond D. Cross, Warren County Fire & Rescue Dept.
- Outstanding EMS Telecommunications Dispatcher – Vincent Eugene Shifflett, Page County Fire-EMS
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS by a High School Senior ( 1,000 Scholarship) – Christopher Lee Clark, Shawnee Volunteer Fire Company, Handley High School