June 20, 2014
(ROANOKE, Va.) The Western Virginia Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Council, Inc. paid tribute to the region’s EMS personnel for their selfless acts of service and dedication at the annual regional EMS awards ceremony held June 12, 2014, at the Vinton War Memorial.
“While these outstanding participants in our EMS system don’t do it for the recognition, they all deserve their moment in the spotlight. Their work is truly inspirational, and we are proud to honor them with our 2014 Regional EMS Awards,” said Rob Logan, executive director of the Western Virginia EMS Council.
Recipients of this year’s regional awards will have the chance to compete for the prestigious 2014 Governor’s EMS Awards, which will be announced at the Virginia EMS Symposium’s Annual Awards Ceremony, Nov. 8 in Norfolk. Winners will be presented with a trophy and a certificate signed by the Governor.
“It’s an honor to celebrate the high level of excellence demonstrated by those within the Virginia EMS System. Their dedication and commitment to serve at a moment’s notice, often times putting their own lives on the line, is greatly valued and worthy of recognition,” said Gary Brown, director of the Virginia Office of EMS.
The 2014 Western Virginia EMS Council Regional Award Recipients:
- Excellence in EMS – Joe Coyle, Christiansburg Rescue Squad
- Outstanding EMS Administrator – David Bishop, Roanoke Fire-EMS Department
- Outstanding EMS Agency – Wake Forest Baptist Health AirCare
- Outstanding EMS Provider – Jonathan Wacek, Roanoke County Fire & Rescue Department
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS by a Physician (Dr. Cheryl B. Hass Award) – Michael T. Moran, MD, Allegheny OMD
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS by a Nurse – Diana Coffey, Carilion LifeGuard
- Outstanding Prehospital Educator – Jeanette Mann, Dabney S. Lancaster Community College EMS Program
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS for Children – Tiffany Bradbury, Roanoke Fire-EMS Department
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS Health and Safety – David Jones, Roanoke County Fire & Rescue Department
- Outstanding EMS Telecommunications Officer – Susan Fulcher, Martinsville-Henry County 911 Center