July 5, 2017
For More Information Contact
Mary Kathryn Allen, executive director
Blue Ridge EMS Council, Inc.
Tristen Graves, public relations assistant
Virginia Department of Health
(LYNCHBURG, Va.) – The Blue Ridge Emergency Medical Services (BREMS) Council, Inc. held its regional EMS awards June 14 at the City View by the James in Lynchburg. The council celebrated its EMS personnel for their devoted service to the region’s EMS system and awarded those, nominated by their peers, for their commendable achievements in the field.
“It is important to recognize the excellence in our region through the BREMS Regional EMS Awards program,” said Mary Kathryn Allen, executive director of the Blue Ridge EMS Council, Inc. “The awards program allows individuals and organizations to be recognized for their dedication and support. Their commitment and perseverance demonstrate the importance of the job our EMS heroes provide every day to their communities to make it a better place to live and work.”
Recipients of this year’s regional awards will have the chance to compete for the prestigious 2017 Governor’s EMS Awards, which will be announced at the Virginia EMS Symposium’s Annual Awards Ceremony, Nov. 11, in Norfolk. Winners will be presented with a trophy and a certificate signed by the Governor.
“It is so important that we recognize and honor the men and women who serve on the front line of our health care system,” said Gary Brown, director of the Virginia Office of EMS. “Their commitment to being ready at a moment’s notice to protect and provide quality prehospital care warrants the utmost respect and appreciation.”
The 2017 Blue Ridge EMS Council Regional Award Recipients:
- Outstanding EMS Administrator – Janet Blankenship, Bedford County Department of Fire and Rescue
- Outstanding EMS Agency – Centra Transport Services – Centra Health, Inc.
- Outstanding Prehospital Provider – Benjamin Bond, Centra Health, Inc.- Centra One Flight Services
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS by a Physician – Kayla Long, D.O., Centra Health, Inc.
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS by a Nurse – June Leffke, R.N., Centra Health, Inc./ Boonsboro Volunteer Rescue Squad
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS by a High School Senior ($1,000 Scholarship – Linda Boon Educational Award) – Trenton Pizza, Moneta Rescue Squad