June 15, 2017
For More Information Contact
- Dessi Bradecich, regional EMS field coordinator II
Tidewater EMS Council, Inc.
- Tristen Graves, public relations assistant
Virginia Department of Health
(NORFOLK, Va.) – The Tidewater Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Council, Inc., celebrated the regional EMS awards, June 4, at Harbor Park Stadium in Norfolk. The council presented top honors to those individuals who were considered for their remarkable contributions to the EMS field.
“It is our privilege to recognize some of the best EMS responders, instructors, dispatchers, nurses and agencies in the Tidewater region,” said Jim Chandler, executive director of the Tidewater EMS Council, Inc. “EMS is a vital part of health care, public health and public safety. The public counts on EMS to help them in their worst moments and we’re proud to have some of the best EMS providers right here in Tidewater.”
Recipients of this year’s regional awards will have the chance to compete for the prestigious 2017 Governor’s EMS Awards, which will be announced at the Virginia EMS Symposium’s Annual Awards Ceremony, Nov. 11, in Norfolk. Winners will be presented with a trophy and a certificate signed by the Governor.
“It is so important that we recognize and honor the men and women who serve on the front line of our health care system,” said Gary Brown, director of the Virginia Office of EMS. “Their commitment to being ready at a moment’s notice to protect and provide quality prehospital care warrants the utmost respect and appreciation.”
The 2017 Tidewater EMS Council Regional Award Recipients:
- Excellence in EMS (R.C. Dailey Award) – Bruce W. Edwards, Virginia Beach EMS
- Outstanding EMS Administrator (Bruce W. Edwards Award) – Forrest G. Winslow, Chesapeake Fire Department
- Outstanding EMS Agency – Chesapeake Fire Department
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS Health and Safety – Captain J. Scott Clifford, Chesapeake Fire Department
- Outstanding Prehospital Provider – Jason E. Lombard, Navy Region Mid-Atlantic Fire and Emergency Services
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS by a Nurse – Christopher W. Roberts, Sentara Virginia Beach Hospital
- Outstanding Prehospital Educator (James M. Wagenbach Award) – Amber-Leigh Jensen, Tidewater Community College
- Outstanding EMS Telecommunications Dispatcher – Lisa M. Duvall, Navy Region Mid-Atlantic, Emergency Management (N37)
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Willie “Melvin” Smith, Nansemond Suffolk Volunteer Rescue Squad