The Chesapeake Medical Reserve Corps (CMRC) coordinates volunteer opportunities for practicing and retired physicians, nurses, epidemiologists and other health professionals as well as non-medical citizens that have an interest in public health. CMRC volunteers are trained to address the community’s ongoing public health needs and on how to assist during large-scale emergency situations.
The mission of the CMRC is to organize, train, and deploy local medical, health, and community volunteers to support medical and public health response efforts in the City of Chesapeake.
What do CMRC Volunteers do?
- Health Educators
- General Non-Medical Support
- Emergency Medical Technicians
- Pharmacy Technicians
**CMRC Response to COVID-19 **
The Chesapeake Medical Reserve Corps (CMRC) needs volunteers willing to support the Chesapeake Health Department’s COVID-19 response.
The Chesapeake Health Department (CHD) is following the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Virginia Department of Health (VDH) protocols to rapidly identify persons who may have contracted COVID-19. Many of our staff are working overtime to help contain the virus, therefore the support of the medical professionals in our community is critical. Although we understand many of our citizens are already on the front-lines assisting in COVID-19 response efforts, we also understand that many others may want to help. Some of these support-activities include, but are not limited to:
- Disease investigations, monitoring, and contact-tracing investigations
- Screening contacts of confirmed cases or travelers from level 2 and level 3 countries or domestic regions with community spread
- Delivering mail communications to the addresses of travelers who are unable to be reached
- Assistance with call center operations to provide targeted risk communications
- Providing COVID-19 outreach education (including proper hand washing techniques) to community partners and local businesses
- Preparing COVID Care Kits for confirmed cases in need of appropriate protective equipment and sanitary supplies
- Assistance with fit-testing N95 masks for healthcare organizations and primary care physicians
- Assistance with antiviral or vaccination clinics once prophylaxis is available
- Various other duties to allow CHD staff to focus on emergency operations and COVID-19 response
If you are interested in volunteering with the Chesapeake Medical Reserve Corps, please click here to register on the Virginia Volunteer Health System and the Medical Reserve Corps Coordinator will reach out to you. We appreciate your willingness to support your local health department in the response to COVID-19.
Thank you for volunteering to protect the health of Virginia.