April 14, 2022
Media Contact: Nancy Bell, email@example.com
Free COVID-19 Testing Event Scheduled in West Piedmont Health District
MARTINSVILLE, Va. – Virginia Department of Health’s West Piedmont Health District will offer free COVID-19 testing next week. Testing will take place Tuesday, April 19 from 1 to 4 p.m. at the Martinsville Armory located at 315 Commonwealth Blvd., W.
The event will be drive-thru with no age limit, although a parent or guardian must accompany anyone under 18 years old. Registration is not required and pets should not accompany those being tested within the vehicle.
During the testing process, the three-day polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test will be used. A rapid test option will not be available. After the test is performed by using a swab to collect a respiratory specimen, results are expected to be available approximately three days following the test. Those receiving a positive COVID-19 test result will be notified by Virginia Department of Health containment team.
To protect yourself and healthcare workers, wear a cloth face covering or mask. Be sure to tell the testing providers if you have any symptoms of COVID-19, including fever, deep cough or shortness of breath, or believe that you may have been exposed to someone with COVID-19.
VDH recommends that the following people be tested for COVID-19:
- Those with symptoms or signs of COVID-19, regardless of vaccination status.
- Those who have had close contact with someone known or suspected to have COVID-19.
o Fully vaccinated people should be tested three to five days following a known exposure to someone with suspected or confirmed COVID-19, even if you don’t have symptoms.
o People who are not fully vaccinated should be tested immediately after an exposure, and again five to seven days following exposure if the first test is negative.
- Those who participate in activities that are higher riskfor COVID-19 exposure (e.g. travel, attending large events where social distancing is not possible, or being in crowded indoor settings).
- Those who have been referred for COVID-19 testingby their healthcare provider or the health department.
- Those who plan to travelor who have recently returned from travel with some exceptions for fully vaccinated people.
- Those who are not fully vaccinated and who plan to visit people at high risk of developing severe COVID-19.
For those still needing a COVID-19 vaccine, please visit or call 1-877-VAX-IN-VA (877-829-4682, TTY users call 7-1-1). English- and Spanish-speaking operators are available. Translation services also are available in more than 100 languages.
# # #