The Summer Internship Academy is a structured 10 week program that allows current or recent students to explore what it is like to work in at the Virginia Department of Health. You’ll work directly with a program or health district on projects that immerse you in what it would be like to be a member of our team.
The program is for students with a broad range of backgrounds, from accounting to graphic design to biology. We’re looking for interns to work hand in hand with not only our Public Health programs, but our Financial team, Human Resources, Communications, and Technology areas. If you can think of a field, there’s somewhere at VDH where that fits in!
The academy will be placing interns in locations across the state, including our Central Office located at the Madison Building in Richmond VA, and our Health Districts and Departments, located in every county across the state.
The internship academy will include:
- A kick off event, and and close out event located at the Central Office in Richmond VA
- Each intern will be assigned a mentor who they will work with directly to grow your skillsets
- Bi-weekly assigned readings and activities with the group, to learn about public health and other valuable skillsets
- Introductions to and Q&A sessions with key Agency personnel, allowing you the opportunity to learn and network
This is a paid internship opportunity with the selected interns being paid $18.25/hour for fulltime hours 40/week for the 10 week internship.
Applicants are ineligible for the academy and will not be considered in selection process unless they meet the following criteria:
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Legally eligible for employment in the United States in compliance with the immigration Reform and Control Act.
- Be enrolled in an undergraduate degree program, a Master’s or terminal degree candidate at a College or University (in state or out of state)
- Graduated with a Associate’s, Bachelor’s, Master’s or terminal degree program at a College or University (in state or out of state) within the last 12 months,
- Have a 3.0 cumulate minimum GPA
- Ability to pass a criminal background check with the Virginia State Police
Application and Selection Process
Applications for the Academy will open in December, information on this page is subject to change at that time.
The application process will collect the following information to be used in candidate selection
- Education Information
- Education Status (Completed Highschool or Equivalent, Pursuing Bachelors, Completed Bachelors, Pursuing Graduate Degree, Completed Graduate Degree)
- Field of Study/Major
- Estimated or Actual Graduation Year
- A 1-2 page letter of interest from the applicant
The letter of interest will be the primary material used in selecting candidates for the academy. The letter should detail why the applicant believes they should be selected for the position, it’s recommend that applicants demonstrate that they have a vested interest in Public Health or Public Service by discussing past activities the applicant has participated in that are related to the field
Please do not include personally identifiable information your letter of interest, the selection process will be anonymous as much as possible, with the applicants name, gender, and race withheld from the selection committee. This is to ensure a fair and equitable application process.
The following information is only used in determining if the agency is able to place the applicant. We may be unable to offer internships to candidates if the desired area is at capacity.
- Geographic preference(s)
- Areas of interest (i.e. Nursing, Administration, Human Resources)
- Interview with the candidate and the program area
The following information is not used in applicant selection, but collected for administrative purposes
- Applicant Information, and communication methods (Name, Email, Phone Number etc.)
- Information regarding how the applicant heard about the opportunity
- Education program transcript (from current or most recent institution, Unofficial is permissible) [Used to verify GPA]