New River Health District’s Family Planning Program provides women and men in the New River Valley with the ability to decide whether to have children, how many to have, and when to have them. Our friendly, highly-trained staff can help you make the best choices for yourself. All services are confidential, affordable, and available to anyone living in Virginia, regardless of citizenship or immigration status. We also offer confidential services to teens. Call any of our five convenient locations to make an appointment or learn more!
New River Health District believes that all people:
- Have the right to decide for themselves about having children
- Should have access to good information and quality family planning services
- Have the right to confidential, nonjudgmental sexual and reproductive health care provided with respect to privacy, dignity, and individuality
Service available at all local health departments include:
- Pregnancy testing and counseling
- Pap tests
- Breast and pelvic exams
- Testing for HIV and other sexually transmitted infections (free testing events are held every week in the community through our Mobile Unit program)
- Education and counseling on family planning and sexual health
- Services especially for teens
We offer many different birth control options* including:
- Contraceptive implants (Nexplanon)
- IUDs (Mirena, Skyla, Liletta, Kyleena, & ParaGard)
- Birth control shots (Depo-Provera)
- Birth control pills, patches, and rings
- Natural methods (fertility awareness and withdrawal)
- Emergency contraception
Our family planning services are affordable for everyone!
If you have health coverage, we can bill your insurance provider, and we accept Medicaid. If you are uninsured and not eligible for full Medicaid, we can help you apply for family planning coverage through Plan First (see more about Plan First below). If you are uninsured and your income is too high to qualify for Plan First, we offer all services on a sliding-scale basis at low cost or no cost based on your income.
Call your local health department today to schedule an appointment!
Men and women who meet the income requirements but do not qualify for full-benefit Medicaid may be eligible for Plan First.
Plan First covers:
- Annual physical exam for family planning (birth control) purposes, including PAP test and sexually transmitted infection (STI) testing
- Family planning education & counseling
- Birth control methods provided or prescribed by a clinician, including contraceptive implants, IUDs, Depo Provera shots, contraceptive rings and patches, birth control pills, diaphragms, and even condoms (just have your provider write a prescription for them)
- Sterilizations for members over age 21, including tubal ligation or vasectomy, if that is your choice; and
- Transportation to family planning appointments
For more information about Plan First