March 31, 2020
Media Contact: Lorrie Andrew-Spear – Lorrie.firstname.lastname@example.org
Chesterfield Health District Announces Fatality of Resident from COVID-19
(Chesterfield, Va.) – The Virginia Department of Health’s Chesterfield Health District announced that a resident of the district, a man in his 60s, who was ill with COVID-19 has died. No additional information is being provided about this individual.
“Sadly, we have experienced our first local COVID-19 related fatality. We send our sincere condolences to this person’s family,” said Chesterfield Health District Director Dr. Alexander Samuel. “Unfortunately, those over 65 and those with underlying health conditions are at greater risk of serious complications from COVID-19. Everyone, especially at-risk individuals, are strongly advised to stay home whenever possible and practice social distancing to minimize contact with others.” said Dr. Samuel.
In some patients, COVID-19 can lead to more severe illness, including death, particularly among those who are older or those who have chronic medical conditions, like diabetes, heart or lung disease or compromised immune systems.
To lower the risk of spreading respiratory infections, including COVID-19, the Virginia Department of Health encourages everyone to:
- Stay at home to the greatest extent possible
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds; use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer only if soap and water are not available
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
- Avoid contact with sick people
- If you are experiencing symptoms, call your doctor
- Practice social distancing. Maintain at least six feet of space between yourself and other individuals when you must be out in public
This is a rapidly changing situation, and information is being shared on the following websites: www.cdc.gov/coronavirus or www.vdh.virginia.gov/coronavirus/.
NOTE: This fatality is not yet reflected in the VDH website dashboard, which is updated daily with cases recorded by 5 p.m. the evening before.