The resource mother is a community health worker who develops a supportive mentoring relationship with the teen and her family. From the prenatal period through the infant’s first birthday, the resource mother provides health education, discusses ways to prevent infant injury, models daily living skills, encourages constructive decision making and life-planning, connects the teen to community resources and provides guidance to assist the teen in making a successful transition to parenthood. The resource mother has weekly contact with the teen and her family.
- Health Education using evidenced based perinatal and adolescent health curricula
- Discussions to prevent infant injury (Safe sleep, car seat and home safety)
- Connect the teen to community resources
- Provide encouragement to teen on constructive decision-making and life planning
- Model techniques for daily life skills
- Provide guidance to assist the teen in making a successful transition to parent and adulthood