Through a five-year grant provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Department of Health in collaboration with the Virginia Foundation for Healthy Youth , with support from the Department of Education, will be gathering information about the health risk behaviors of youth. The Virginia Youth Survey (VYS) has been developed to monitor priority health risk behaviors that contribute markedly to the leading causes of death, disability, and social problems among youth and adults within the Commonwealth of Virginia. The survey is administered every odd year in randomly selected Virginia public schools.
Virginia Youth Survey | 2017 Survey Results Infographic
2015 Data Briefs
- Tobacco, alcohol, and other drug use (High School 2015 Data Brief | Middle School 2015 Data Brief)
- Unhealthy dietary behaviors (High School 2015 Data Brief | Middle School 2015 Data Brief)
- Inadequate physical activity (High School 2015 Data Brief | Middle School 2015 Data Brief)
- Behaviors that contribute to unintentional injuries and violence
2019 Data Briefs
- Bullying-and-Teasing | High School | Middle School
- Mental Health | High School | Middle School
- Physical Activity | High School | Middle School
Virginia Youth Survey (VYS) Data Sharing Agreement
Data Request Form: To ensure that we can meet your desired timeline, please submit your request at least two weeks prior to when the information will be needed.