COVID-19 RESPONSE: The Women, Infants & Children (WIC)
program is available for any pregnant woman, infant or child
under age 5. Currently, all WIC services for West Piedmont
Health District are being completed through phone calls only
to practice social distancing. If you are interested in services,
please call your local WIC office or apply online at www.myvawic.org.
Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) Program
WIC helps improve the health of nutritionally at-risk low-income women, infants, and children through supplemental nutrition counseling. WIC services are provided at no cost through USDA funds. WIC helps pregnant women; moms up to 6 months after the baby’s birth, if not breastfeeding; moms up to 1 year after baby is born, if fully breastfeed only; babies up to age 1; and children from age 1 up to their 5th birthday. WIC provides nutritious foods, nutrition information, breastfeeding support, healthcare referrals, and community program information. WIC benefits currently are loaded to an EBT card called eWIC. You may contact the local health department for more detailed information. Appointments are required. Click here for eligibility requirements.
- screening and referrals to other health, welfare and social services agencies,
- nutrition education, breastfeeding promotion and support, and
- supplemental nutritious foods.
For whom? To be eligible for the WIC program, applicants must meet categorical, residential, income and nutrition risk requirements.
How to apply - You will need to bring some information to the WIC appointment.
- Proof of income (pay stubs, Medicaid card, Food Stamp letter, etc.)
- Proof of identity (driver's license, birth certificate or Social Security card)
- Proof that you live in Virginia (utility bill or other item with your name and current street address)
Fees - None
To make an appointment -
- In Franklin County, call (540) 484-0292 and choose Ext. 217 or 218.
- In Martinsville/Henry County, call (276) 638-2311 and choose Ext. 137 or 142
- In Patrick County, call (276) 693-2070 and choose Ext. 2066 WEDNESDAYS ONLY
Newborn Screening - Performed for newborns not tested in hospital or needing pre-testing.
Immunizations - Immunizations for infants and children are available. You may contact your local health department for service times and appointments. You may contact your local health department for service times and appointments.
Car Safety Seat Program - Car safety seat education and free car seats for eligible low income families. Attend a 2 hour class with video on installation of car seats and car seat safety. English and Spanish eligibility information available. You may contact your local health department for service times and appointments.
FAMIS – A special Medicaid for children who do not qualify for regular Medicaid. Must meet certain eligibility requirements. A representative with the Martinsville and Henry County Coalition for Health and Wellness is located at the Henry-Martinsville Health Department every Tuesday (afternoon only).