The Virginia WIC Program is accepting applications for the 2022 WIC Food List from May 3, 2021 to July 30, 2021. An online WIC food application worksheet can be found HERE.
During the open food submission period, food items that are not yet approved in the current approved product list (APL) will be accepted for consideration.
The following WIC approved items are required to be re-submitted:
- Cold and hot breakfast cereals
- Whole grains (whole wheat breads, whole wheat pastas, and tortillas)
- These items must include “camera ready” front panel images for foods list graphics and the product labels in PDF or JPEG formats.
An Excel version of Current Approved Product List (APL) is available to identify the WIC approved items and their corresponding UPCs.
Highlights of Changes in the 2022 WIC Food Application
- Fruits and Vegetables - Any container size including a single serving size is allowed for fruits and vegetables. (fresh, frozen and canned)
- Infant foods (fruits/vegetables or combination) and meats -
Organic infant foods and infant meats are allowed.
2 oz. or 4 oz. multi-packs infant foods and 2.5 oz. multi-packs infant meats are allowed.
- Infant Cereals - Organic infant cereals are allowed.
- Peanut Butter - Natural peanut butter is allowed.
- Eggs - Any size white or brown eggs are allowed. (medium, large, extra-large or jumbo)
- Yogurt - Greek yogurt is allowed.
- Hot Breakfast Cereals - Instant grits original hot cereals 11.8 oz. or larger are allowed.
- Cheese - Mozzarella string cheese 16 oz. is allowed.
All brands including national brands are accepted during the open food submission period. Specific eligibility requirements for each food category are listed on the food application worksheet.
Each item to be submitted must include a PDF or JPEG copy of product label clearly showing product brand, nutrition panel, ingredient list, manufacturer’s name, package size and a full 12 digit UPC.
Listed under each food category tab on the food application worksheet includes the following:
- Nutrition requirements
- Approved package type
- Container size.
It is recommended that you read the instructions on the food application worksheet thoroughly.
In addition, per Virginia WIC policy, each food item must:
- Meet WIC Program Food Selection Criteria and Standards in accordance with FDS 01.1;
- Be available and stocked by food suppliers or distributors in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Verification of product availability may be required before final product approval is granted.
How to Submit the WIC Food Application:
Completed applications with product labels (PDF or JPEG format) and “camera ready” front panel images, if applicable, shall be sent to: email@example.com
Friday, July 30, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. Late submissions will not be accepted.
If you prefer to submit product labels with a thumb drive (no CD), you can send it to the address below:
Brian Tun, UPC Coordinator
2022 Food List Application
Division of Community Nutrition
Virginia Department of Health
109 Governor Street, 8th floor
Richmond, Virginia 23219
Please email Deborah Walton, WIC Nutrition Liaison, at Deborah.Walton@vdh.virginia.gov or call 804-864-7846 should you have any questions about the nutrition requirements or the WIC food application process.