The VA/MD WIC Dietetic Internship is a fully accredited program whose mission is to offer a supervised experience program based on the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics Standards of Education and entry level program requirements which will produce highly competent community based registered dietitians who can work effectively in the changing healthcare environment.
The goals of the program are to prepare graduates to be competent entry level practitioners in the field of dietetics and to produce graduates who continue their careers within the Virginia or Maryland Community Nutrition field. Objectives of the program include:
- 95% of the interns will take the CDR credentialing exam for dietitian nutritionists within 12 months of program completion.
- Over a 5-year period, 80% of graduates will pass the CDR credentialing exam for dietitian nutritionists on first attempt or within one year following first attempt.
- 95% of interns will graduate within 150% (16.5 months) of planned completion time.
- 80% of graduates will meet employer satisfaction standards of satisfactory or greater for entry-level practice on one-year post graduation employer survey.
- 100% of graduates will be employed in nutrition and dietetics or related fields within 12 months of graduation.
- 80% of graduates will remain employed in Virginia or Maryland WIC for a minimum of 2 years after passing the credentialing exam for dietitian nutritionists.
- 60% of internship graduates will be employed in community nutrition for a minimum of 5 years after passing the credentialing exam for dietitian nutritionists.
The program seeks to accomplish these goals through comprehensive education and preparation so that interns are able to successfully pass the CDR credentialing exam immediately after graduation and to provide interns ample and broad experience in the complex field of Community Nutrition in that they are capable and eager to continue their nutrition careers in the field of community nutrition.
- 11 month part time internship
- Community Concentration Program
- 1200 hours of Supervised Practice Hours
- Application Deadline June 15
- GPA > 3.0 or higher
Projected Schedule for 2017/2018 Class
Start Date: September 25, 2017
Week 1: Orientation in Richmond, VA (40 hours)
Weeks 2-11: Community Rotation (10 weeks, 20hrs/wk)
Weeks 12-17: Foodservice Rotation (6 weeks at 40hrs/wk)
Weeks 18-21: (return to) Community Rotation (4 weeks, 20hrs/wk)
Weeks 22-31: Clinical Rotation (10 weeks, 40 hrs/wk)
Weeks 32-45: (return to) Community Rotation (14 weeks, 20hrs/wk)
Week 46: Final Review, Exam Prep, Finish all requirements for program completion
Week 47: Graduation in Richmond, VA
Summary of Hours in Rotations:
Community Nutrition: 28 weeks, 20 hrs/wk provides 560 hours supervised practice
Foodservice Management: 6 weeks, 40hrs/wk provides 240 hours supervised practice
Clinical Nutrition: 10 weeks, 40 hrs/wk provides 400 hours supervised practice
Interns accrue 1200 hours in Supervised practice over 47 weeks
The VA/MD WIC Dietetic Internship is accredited as a Dietetic Internship (DI) through the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND). For more information on accreditation, contact ACEND:
Accreditation Council for Education in
Nutrition and Dietetics
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2190
Chicago, IL 60606-6995
800/877-1600, ext. 5400