Complete application packets must be postmarked by June 15. Incomplete packets will not be considered. The following materials must be included (and mailed as one complete packet) to apply to the Program.*
- Completed Dietetic Internship application form
- Recommendation Forms: Three recommendations forms: from 1) current supervisor, 2) a professor and 3) a registered dietitian
- An original Didactic Program in Dietetics Verification Statement signed by the program representative.
- An official copy of all college transcripts, (photocopies are not acceptable).* Include confirmation of an undergraduate and graduate degree. For a foreign degree, validation that it is equivalent to an undergraduate and graduate degree must be included.
- A short, concise personal letter of interest clearly stating what the applicant hopes to gain from participating in the Dietetic Internship Program, career goals, and why he/she chose public health. (Mandatory)
- Signed Memorandum of Understanding (Virginia | Maryland)
- A completed and signed copy of the HR 29 form (Virginia classified applicants only): Example Form
The Dietetic Internship Program will require a personal interview of applicants as part of the selection process.
*The only exception to this is if the school will not release official transcripts or recommendations to the student. In this case, the applicant must notify the Dietetic Internship Program Director in writing prior to the materials being mailed by the school.
All application packets should be submitted by mail or electronic submission.
Kailyn Stanley, MPH, RDN, CBS
Virginia Department of Health
109 Governor Street, 8th Floor
Richmond, VA 23219
eMail PDF files, organized as described to the left, to: Kailyn.Stanley@vdh.Virginia.gov AND Cristina.Luibil@Maryland.gov
Subject Line: DI Application – (Intern Name)
Dietetic Internship Selection Process
The selection committee consists of RD/RDNs, the Dietetic Internship Director, and Maryland Dietetic Internship Coordinator.
Each application is reviewed by each committee member and scored based on the scoring guidelines. Any incomplete applications will not be considered for the program. The selection committee meets to make a final decision on the applications. Interns are notified by letter regarding their acceptance into the program by July 15.