The VA/MD WIC Dietetic Internship is a fully accredited program whose mission is to offer a supervised experience program based on the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics Standards of Education and entry level program requirements which will produce highly competent community based registered dietitians who can work effectively in the changing healthcare environment.
The goals of the program are to prepare graduates to be competent entry level practitioners in the field of dietetics and to produce graduates who continue their careers within the Virginia or Maryland Community Nutrition field. Objectives of the program include:
- At least 80% of interns complete program requirements within 16.5 months (150% of planned program length
- Of graduates who seek employment, at least 95% percent are employed in nutrition and dietetics or related fields within 12 months of graduation.
- At least 95% percent of program graduates take the CDR credentialing exam for dietitian nutritionists within 12 months of program completion.
- The program’s one-year pass rate (graduates who pass the registration exam within one year of first attempt) on the CDR credentialing exam for dietitian nutritionists is at least 80%.
- 95% of program graduates take the CDR credentialing exam for dietitian nutritionists within 12 months of program completion.
The program seeks to accomplish these goals through comprehensive education and preparation so that interns are able to successfully pass the CDR credentialing exam immediately after graduation and to provide interns ample and broad experience in the complex field of Community Nutrition in that they are capable and eager to continue their nutrition careers in the field of community nutrition.
- 11 month part time internship
- Community Concentration Program
- 1000 hours of Supervised Practice Hours
- 200 hours of Didactic Coursework
- Application Deadline June 15
Projected Schedule for 2022/2023 Class
Start Date: September 19, 2022
Week 1 (Sept 19-23): Orientation (40 hours)
Weeks 2-7: Foodservice Rotation (6 weeks at 40 hours/week) (200 SP, 40 DC)
Weeks 8-17: Community Rotation (10 weeks at 20 hours/week)
Weeks 18-27: Clinical Rotation ( 10 weeks at 40 hours/week) (360 SP, 40 DC)
Weeks 28-45: (return to) Community Rotation (18 weeks at 20 hours/week)
Weeks 46: Capstone, Final Review, Exam Prep, Finish all requirements for program completion.
Week 47: Graduation; Location TBD (8/11/23)
Summary of Hours in Rotations
- 560 hours in Public Health (440 hours Supervised Practice Hours; 120 hours Didactic Coursework)
- 240 hours in Foodservice Systems Management (200 hours Supervised Practice; 40 hours Didactic Coursework)
- 400 hours in Clinical Nutrition (360 hours Supervised Practice; 40 Didactic Coursework)
Interns accrue 1000 hours in Supervised practice and 200 hours of Didactic Coursework over 47 weeks.
The VA/MD WIC Dietetic Internship is accredited as a Dietetic Internship (DI) through the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND). For more information on accreditation, contact ACEND:
Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2190
Chicago, IL 60606-6995