New Year’s Goals and Resolutions
The new year is upon us, and many of us will make New Year’s Resolutions. Unfortunately, many people have lost sight of those resolutions by the second Friday in January! This year, instead of making grand resolutions, try setting a few good goals.
How to set good goals
- Start small. Setting small, sustainable goals is better than setting lofty goals that are out of reach. You can always build on small goals as you reach them.
- Track your progress. Take photos of your journey, track your wins in a journal, or log successes on your calendar. Seeing that progress will help encourage you to continue when your motivation starts to wane.
- Tell others and seek support. Share your goals with friends and family, or look for groups on social media of other people who are working on the same or similar goals. Having someone to cheer you on makes hard work a little easier.
- Celebrate your successes. Success doesn’t only happen when you meet the end goal. Celebrate each milestone and win along the way as well. If you think of your bigger goal like a football field, you may be aiming for the endzone, but don’t forget that every time you cross a yard line, you’ve accomplished something!
Great, let’s set some goals! But, now what? What goals should you set? VDH has some suggestions for you!
- Wash your hands regularly.
- Make healthier food choices.
- Get some exercise.
- Drink more water.
- Get enough sleep.
- Stop smoking and using other forms of tobacco.
Here’s to a happy and healthy new year from all of us at VDH.