As specified in 12VAC5-421-55 of the Virginia Food Regulations food establishments (including temporary food establishments) need to have at least one employee with supervisory and management responsibility and the authority to direct and control food preparation and service who is a Certified Food Protection Manager (CFPM). By June 24, 2023 the person in charge must be a CFPM. This requirement does not apply to food establishments that serve only non-time/temperature control for safety food and food establishments that store and prepare food only to the extent that they reheat or cold hold commercially processed, fully cooked time/temperature control for safety foods. Food establishments exempt from the certified food protection manager requirement may not cool time/temperature control for safety foods.
Why is food manager certification important?
Food manager certification provide managers with in-depth knowledge of proper food safety practices for use in their facilities. Facilities with a certified food manager as the Person In Charge (PIC) will also meet the Demonstration of Knowledge requirement in the Virginia Food Regulations.
Do Temporary Food Establishments need to comply with the CFPM requirement?
A “Food Establishment” by definition includes a “temporary facility or location where consumption is on or off the premises.” Thus, a Temporary Food Establishment (TFE) is a type of Food Establishment. Section 12VAC5-421-55 Certified Food Protection Manager of the Virginia Food Regulations contains no specific exemption for TFEs nor has there been an exemption for TFEs from the Demonstration of Knowledge requirement. Only TFEs that meet the criteria for exemption in 12VAC5-421-55 B. will not need to have a CFPM.
Which Food Protection Manager Certification Programs does VDH recognize?
VDH recognizes the following Food Protection Manager Certification Programs accredited through Conference of Food Protection (CFP):
ANSI-CFP Accredited Programs
- 360training.com, Inc. – Learn2Serve Food Protection Manager Certification Program
- Above Training/StateFoodSafety.com – Certified Food Protection Manager Exam
- NRFSP: National Registry of Food Safety Professionals – Food Protection Manager Certification Program, International Certified Food Safety Manager
- National Restaurant Association – ServSafe Food Protection Manager Certification Program
- Prometric Inc. – Food Protection Manager Certification Program
- The Always Food Safe Company, LLC – Food Protection Manager Certification