The mission of the Division of Shellfish Safety is to protect shellfish consumers through water quality monitoring, growing area assessment, education and regulatory programs.
If trying to reach Waterborne Hazards Control, please go to link here.
Emergency and Conditional Shellfish Closures
- Click here to view the Emergency Closure in the James River that will to into effect Tuesday January 5, 2021. All other shellfish harvesting waters are classified according to routine criteria.
- Click here for the status of Conditional Shellfish Harvesting waters.
- Shellfish Dealers: Click here for drinking and processing water guidance.
Shellfish Safety Recall Notices
- There are no Recall Notices issued at this time.
Shellfish Harvesting Area Map
- Zoom in to see Condemnation Zones, Seasonal Condemnation Zones, and Sampling Stations.
- Use layer selection (second icon on the bottom right) on lower task bar to add several interesting layers such as lease information, public harvesting grounds, or oyster sanctuaries.
- For full map please go to www.vdh.virginia.gov/shellfish/webmap.
- This can also be viewed on mobile devices.