The mission of the Division of Shellfish Safety is to protect shellfish consumers through water quality monitoring, growing area assessment, education and regulatory programs.
If trying to reach Waterborne Hazards Control, please go to link here.
Emergency and Conditional Shellfish Closures
- There are no emergency closures currently in effect. All shellfish harvesting waters are currently classified according to routine criteria per Va. Code §§ 28.2-803 through 28.2-808.
- Click here to view the Hampton Roads Shellfish Closure displaying waters formerly shown in the James River Emergency Closure. This issuance replaces the emergency closure and goes into effect Thursday February 4, 2021.
- Click here for the status of Conditional Shellfish Harvesting waters.
- Shellfish Dealers: Click here for drinking and processing water guidance.
Shellfish Safety Recall Notices
- There are no Recall Notices issued at this time.
Shellfish Harvesting Area Map
- Zoom in to see Condemnation Zones, Seasonal Condemnation Zones, and Sampling Stations.
- Use layer selection (second icon on the bottom right) on lower task bar to add several interesting layers such as lease information, public harvesting grounds, or oyster sanctuaries.
- For full map please go to www.vdh.virginia.gov/shellfish/webmap.
- This can also be viewed on mobile devices.