WIC | Women, Infants and Children

The Special Supplemental Food Program for Women, Infants, & Children

The Women, Infants and Children Program (WIC) is offered through your local health department and is funded by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).  The program provides supplemental foods and nutrition education to eligible persons.  Nutrition education is accomplished through individual and group counseling sessions.

The WIC program provides nutritious foods such as cheese, eggs, peanut butter, beans, milk, juice, cereal, fruits and vegetables, canned fish, and infant formula. It also provides nutrition education, breastfeeding support, and referrals to other health care systems such as immunizations and dental care.  WIC focuses on the overall good health of women, infants, and children, encourages healthy pregnancy outcomes, and promotes healthy eating habits that follow current U.S.D.A. recommendations. Select one of these links (English/Spanish) to download a copy of the new WIC Approved Food List.

Who is eligible for WIC?
Virginia Residents
who meet income guidelines
and have a nutritional need

Who can WIC help?
Children under 5 years of age
Pregnant and Postpartum Women
Breastfeeding Women

WIC Eligibility and Income Guide

To make an appointment, call the WIC Clinic location nearest to you:

Peninsula Health Center WIC Clinic
416 J. Clyde Morris Boulevard
Newport News, VA 23601
Phone: (757) 594-7502
Fax: (757) 594-7771
York/Denbigh WIC Clinic
606 Denbigh Boulevard, Suite 304
Newport News, VA 23608
Phone: (757) 886-2810
Fax: (757) 886-7522

East End WIC Clinic
1033 28th Street
Newport News, VA 23607
Phone: (757) 247-8079
Fax: (757) 247-2291


Williamsburg/James City County WIC Clinic
4095 Ironbound Road, Suite 135
Williamsburg, VA 23188
Phone: (757) 253-4741
Fax: (757) 253-4248

  • What to bring to your appointment

  • Your Infant
    • Infant crib card
    • Proof of Birth letter
    • Hospital immunization/ shot record
  • Your Child
    • Immunization/shot record
    • Social security card
  • Proof of All Household Income (include at least one):
    • Paystubs within past 30 days
    • Medicaid card
    • Food Stamp letter
    • TANF letter
    • Unemployment benefits
    • Child support
    • Proof of school lunch participation
    • Current military leave and earning statement (LES)
  • Proof of Residency
    • Utility bill
    • Lease
    • Mail with your name on it
  • Proof of Pregnancy (if having multiples)
  • Your Picture ID

Nutrition Education On-line

HealthBites is online nutrition education that offers healthy eating tips and recipes for families with young children.  You can receive nutrition education credits for completing the lessons in this website.  Be sure to fill out the evaluation at the end of each lesson that you do. Then print off the “Certificate of Completion” at the end of the lesson.  Bring the certificate to your next nutrition education appointment to receive credit.

USDA Nondiscrimination Statement