2022 Accomplishment Snapshot
The Community Healthcare Coalition Greater Prince William (Coalition) led the Neighborhood and Built Environment (NBE) workgroup based on feedback from the Community Health Assessments (CHA) and Community Health Improvement Plans (CHIP). This is the Coalition's first year with a dedicated program manager position. In addition to the NBE's contributions, we led three Community of Practice (CoP) sessions on community engagement. The accomplishments toward each CHIP action plan goal are highlighted below.
Ensured all residents have the opportunity to provide input about their neighborhood and built environment for the Prince William County (PWC) 2040 Comprehensive Plan.
- Worked with the PWC planning division and Coalition members to make recommendations about equity and community engagement for the PWC Comprehensive Plan.
- Designed a survey for Prince William Health Department (PWHD) to administer to vulnerable areas.
- Analyzed the survey data from 381 residents to share with PWC, City of Manassas, and City of Manassas Park City planning divisions. The findings affirmed community members concerns for pedestrian safety, community safety, barriers to youth programs, and access to basic needs and affordable housing.
Identified interventions that will decrease firearm violence in communities most impacted by firearm injury.
- Distributed safe firearm storage materials to healthcare providers in the Greater Prince William Area (GPW).
- Promoted firearm safety screening survey for health care providers to complete.
- Partnered with Team Quest, a mentoring program for teens in need of positive social support in GPW. This is the only no-cost program for opportunity youth and is directed by a collaborative multidisciplinary team of community stakeholders.
Evaluated areas that put pedestrians and cyclists at injury risk.
- Encouraged improvements to pedestrian safety infrastructure in the PWC Comprehensive Plan's mobility chapter.
- Collaborated with planning stakeholders to update an aspirational map of recreational and transportation trails to help improve neighborhood walkability and recreational opportunities.
Housing Resource Guide
Collected and verified resources for a housing resource guide. This guide helps community organizations direct community members with housing-related concerns and other basic needs to the proper resources.
- Generated a fact sheet on the intersection between health and the neighborhood and built environment. The Coalition's co-chairs identified the fact sheet needs, which serves as the basis for the community awareness campaign.
Enhanced branding with Coalition outreach materials.
- Refreshed the Coalition branding to include a new logo, email header, and PowerPoint template.
- Created fact sheets and flyers to inform community members about upcoming events in the area (Ex. Trails Summit and the in-person Coalition event).
- Launched a monthly newsletter to increase connectivity and coordination across Coalition partners. The newsletter included updates, information about GPW area events, resources, and more.