Standard Disclaimer: These links are to external Web sites, not under the control of Division of Shellfish Sanitation. Although we think they might be of interest to you, we cannot be responsible for the contents of remote sites. If you notice any broken links or other problems, please report them to the webmaster.
- Interstate Shellfish Sanitation Conference: The Interstate Shellfish Sanitation Conference (ISSC) was formed in 1982 to foster and promote shellfish sanitation through the cooperation of state and federal control agencies, the shellfish industry, and the academic community.
- Foodborne Disease Outbreak Reports: Per state law, all outbreaks, including those that are foodborne, are reportable in Virginia. The VDH Office of Epidemiology's Division of Surveillance and Investigation monitors all outbreaks in the Commonwealth. Annual reports are derived from their surveillance efforts. It is important to know that these reports house not only foodborne outbreaks but all reportable illnesses. To navigate to the Foodborne Disease Outbreak specific information follow the steps below.
Annual Reports → Find the appropriate year → Descriptive Epidemiology of Reportable Diseases and Selected Maps → Outbreaks → Scroll to find "Foodborne Outbreaks" in each report.
- FDA Guidance & Regulation: References food (including shellfish) safety programs, manufacturing processes, industry systems, and import/export activities with links to Federal Register documents.
- Seafood Network Information Center: Sponsored by the Sea Grant Extension Program of Oregon State University. Good information that requires a bit of a search.
- Virginia Sea Grant: The Virginia Sea Grant is part of a nationwide network of 30 university-based Sea Grant programs funded through the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
- Department of Food Science, VA Tech: Dedicated to applying science and technology to the processing, preservation, packaging, distribution, and utilization of food and food products.
- Virginia Institute of Marine Science: Hosted by the College of William and Mary, VIMS has a threefold mission of research, education, and advisory service.
- Old Dominion University: ODU's Bio Department maintains a Barrier Islands Program and the Blackwater Ecologic Preserve. Also of interest is the Center for Biotechnology.