Complete application packets must be postmarked by June 15. Incomplete packets will not be considered. The following materials must be included (and mailed as one complete packet) to apply to the Program.*
- Completed Dietetic Internship application form and recommendation forms
- Three recommendations forms: from 1) current supervisor, 2) a professor and 3) a registered dietitian
- An original Didactic Program in Dietetics Verification Statement signed by the program representative.
- An official copy of all college transcripts, (photocopies are not acceptable).* Include confirmation of baccalaureate or master’s degree. For a foreign degree, validation that it is equivalent to a baccalaureate or master’s degree must be included.
- Documentation of a passing grade in a 3 credit hour advanced Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT) course completed within 5 years of the internship program application deadline is preferred.
- A short, concise personal letter interest clearly stating what the applicant hopes to gain from participating in the Dietetic Internship Program, career goals, and why he/she chose public health. (Mandatory)
- Signed Memorandum of Understanding (Virginia | Maryland)
- A completed and signed copy of the HR 29 form (Virginia classified applicants only): Example Form
The Dietetic Internship Program may require a personal interview of applicants as part of the selection process.
*The only exception to this is if the school will not release official transcripts or recommendations to the student. In this case, the applicant must notify the Dietetic Internship Program Director in writing prior to the materials being mailed by the school.
All application packets are to be mailed to:
Megan Nason MS, RD
Virginia Department of Health
109 Governor Street
Richmond, VA 23219
Dietetic Internship Selection Process
The selection committee consists of RD/RDNs employed in foodservice management, clinical practice; a community program RD/RDN, a health department RD, the Dietetic Internship Director, and Maryland Dietetic Internship Coordinator.
Each application is reviewed by each committee member and scored based on the scoring guidelines. Any incomplete applications will not be considered for the program. The selection committee meets to make a final decision on the applications. Interns are notified by letter regarding their acceptance into the program by July 15.