As we continue to navigate the COVID-19 outbreak and flattening the curve, safety seat check events may be subject to change. Please check below or call your local safety seat check station for updates on events and cancellations. If you visit your local safety seat check station, consider the following questions to protect the health and safety of other parents, caregivers, children and staff before attending:
- Have you recently traveled? If so, was it to a place with sustained COVID-19 outbreaks?
- Have you been exposed to anyone who is suspected or confirmed to be sick?
- Is anyone who is planning on attending the safety seat check event experiencing any symptoms of illness (fever, cough, shortness of breath/difficulty breathing)?
For the safety parents, caregivers and children, staff may wear personal protection items such as disposable gloves and masks. For more information on COVID-19, visit www.vdh.virginia.gov/
Parents and caregivers can receive free hands-on help from a Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician to learn how to install their safety seat, by visiting a Safety Seat Check Station or a Safety Seat Check Event.
The car seat installation experience is an interactive one and takes 20-30 minutes, depending on the car seat and the vehicle. Parents and caregivers will be asked to complete a form prior to checking your safety seat for proper installation, fit for your child, expiration, and recalls.
To ensure that you have the best experience, here is how you should prepare:
- If expecting, schedule an appointment 1 to 2 months prior to your due date. Many agencies require appointments several weeks in advance and some moms deliver early.
- Please try to bring your child with you or know your child's weight and height.
- Using the safety seat instructions and vehicle owner's manual, please install your seat prior to your appointment in order to be familiar with your seat and basic installation. Please bring both manuals to your appointment.
To print a list of all Safety Seat Check Stations click here.