Training Description: The Virginia Department of Health (VDH) will provide Administering ACAM2000 Smallpox Vaccine Train-the-Trainer trainings in each VDH region. The purpose of the training is to ensure VDH clinicians can administer the ACAM2000 Smallpox vaccine, which is a live virus vaccination. VDH health districts are encouraged to send two clinicians (i.e., registered nurse, nurse practioner, physician assistant, and/or physician) to attend this Train-the-Trainer training. Participants will be provided a hands-on practice opportunity at this training. In addition, a brief overview of Monkeypox will be discussed.
(1) Describe Monkeypox disease and provide guidance on how to collect and send specimens to the Virginia Division of Consolidated Laboratory Services (DCLS).
(2) Introduce the ACAM2000 smallpox vaccination.
(3) Describe and prepare ACAM2000 smallpox vaccine.
(4) Administer ACAM2000 smallpox vaccine.
(5) Provide care for the smallpox vaccination site and prevent spread of vaccinia virus.
(6) Identify common reactions and potential serious adverse events following vaccination.
(7) Conduct a hands-on practice of administering the ACAM2000 smallpox vaccine.
Dates, Time, and Location for Administering ACAM2000 Smallpox Vaccine Train-the-Trainer
Northwest: VDOT Culpeper Computer Room (Culpeper)
Monday, August 22, 2022 / 9-11 am and 1-3 pm