Septic System and Private Well Service Providers

Obtaining private sector services.

Effective August 11, 2019

Beginning August 11, 2019, all applications for onsite sewage systems and/or private wells must be accompanied by supporting work from a private sector consultant who is properly licensed to do such work through the Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation (DPOR). Only owners that submit a petition for services and meet i) means testing requirements (household income does not exceed 400% of federal poverty guidelines), or ii) a hardship contained in the Virginia Department of Health’s Hardship Guidelines, will be eligible to receive evaluation and design services from the Virginia Department of Health.

Service Providers – How do I get added to the lists?  VDH does not endorse or recommend any particular septic or private well service provider, or laboratory. The following list and map is based only on those service providers who have shared their contact information with the agency (in the case of water testing labs, the map shows laboratories accredited by the Division of Consolidated Laboratory Services to conduct testing for total coliform). The omission of a service provider from the listing is not a statement of unsuitability. VDH also does not guarantee the work or license status of any listed provider. It is recommended that you view the Department of Professional and Occupations Regulation (DPOR) website,, to verify that a service provider is properly licensed in accordance with state law. To search all licensed OSE’s, PE’s, septic system installers, and well drillers please visit the DPOR website.



Hauler, Installer, Operator, OSE, PE, Driller, & Water Testing Laboratory Map

In addition to the identified laboratories, the Virginia Cooperative Extension’s Virginia Household Water Quality Program conducts well water testing clinics annually throughout the Commonwealth.

For more information about operation and maintenance, and to see frequently asked questions about the Regulations for Alternative Onsite Sewage Systems and homeowner responsibilities click here.

How do I get added to the lists?

OSE’s, PE’s, installers, haulers, and well drillers that would like to be included in VDH listings can click here and provide their contact information.

The AOSS Operator list is compiled from the Virginia Department of Health’s Operation and Maintenance (O&M) reporting website. Only those operators that have given VDH permission to publish their contact information through the O&M reporting website are included. Operators who are not on the list, but wish to be included can go to the VDH O&M Reporting website and provide their contact information using the “edit account” function. Operators that do not have an account and would like to create one, please contact Lance Gregory.

Back to Top