- Case rates continue to grow across the Commonwealth and are now at historic highs. Early signs suggest this growth may be slowing, but all 35 health districts are still in surge.
- Models project a continued steep rise in cases with a peak around January 23rd. Case rates may fall just as sharply after the peak.
- Omicron is less severe than Delta, but this surge will cause a large increase of hospitalizations, which could reach record levels in the coming weeks.
- Vaccines and boosters remain very effective at protecting against hospitalization and death from the Omicron variant.
- The CDC estimates that the Omicron variant now accounts for about 98% of new cases in the mid-Atlantic region.
- This is an interim week report. Models were last run on January 5th, and will be run again on January 19th. The next modeling update will be released January 21st.
This page updates weekly on Friday at 1:00 PM.