May 19, 2022 Website Changes
The COVID-19 dashboards listed below will be retired on May 19, 2022. Their accompanying data sets (if available) will no longer be updated but will be archived on the Virginia Open Data Portal. Click on the data set links below to see the data set behind each dashboard.
- Cases by Vaccination Status [data set]
- Federal Vaccine Doses [There is no accompanying data set specific to this dashboard on the Virginia Open Data Portal]
- Vaccines Received [data set]
- Cases and Deaths by Date Reported [There is no accompanying data set specific to this dashboard on the Virginia Open Data Portal]
Why is VDH retiring these dashboards?
Cases by Vaccination Status: Vaccine and booster recommendations and the definition of ‘fully vaccinated’ is rapidly changing. You can view cases and deaths by vaccination status on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Rates of COVID-19 Cases and Deaths by Vaccination Status dashboard. The CDC dashboard is considered the standard for these data.
Federal Vaccine Doses and Vaccines Received: COVID-19 vaccines are now widely available to anyone who is eligible. There is less of a need to track vaccine doses received and administered each day, since there is no longer a limited COVID-19 vaccine supply.
Cases and Deaths by Date Reported: You can see cases and deaths by date reported on the Cases dashboard. VDH is also focusing on providing data on cases by date of symptom onset and deaths by date of death. Report date is not the actual date of hospital admission or death, but the date when VDH reports the information on its website. You can see cases by date of symptom onset and deaths by date of death on the Cases dashboard.
VDH will also remove the landing pages for:
- Levels of Community Transmission
These dashboards are no longer published as of March 10, 2022. Please use the CDC COVID-19 Community Levels to see COVID-19 burden in your local community. Cases by report date and cases by date of illness can be viewed by locality on the Cases dashboard. The corresponding data set with locality data by report date can be downloaded from the Virginia Open Data Portal.
March 10, 2022 Website Changes
The Virginia Department of Health (VDH) continues to track COVID-19 data to keep Virginia healthy and safe. Changes to COVID-19 data dashboards for Virginia occurred on March 10, 2022. These changes were made to simplify and streamline available data to highlight current COVID-19 trends in Virginia and inform action..
- Two dashboards are no longer available:
- The Locality dashboard has been retired but some data from the Locality dashboard is now included in the Cases dashboard. However, case investigation-based hospitalizations and deaths by locality will no longer be available by report date. Report date is not the actual date of hospital admission or death, but the date when VDH reports the information on its website.
- The Case and Testing Data by ZIP Code dashboard has been retired.
- For each retired dashboard, the corresponding dataset found on the Virginia Open Data Portal will continue to be updated. The Cases dataset with locality information will be published Monday – Friday. The ZIP Code dataset will be published on Mondays.
- The Cases dashboard was updated with notable changes:
- Data can be viewed on the map and bar chart by Cases by Date of Illness, Cases by Report Date, and Deaths by Date of Death.
- Hospitalizations (VDH case investigation-based hospital admissions) are no longer available. These data are known to under-represent the total number of hospitalized COVID-19 cases in Virginia.
- More geographic options are available for the weekly bar chart:
- Health District
- Locality (cannot view deaths by locality)
- Added the 7-Day Average Number of Daily New Cases Reported from Locality dashboard.
- Added the Number of New Deaths Reported from the Locality dashboard.
- Added the 7-Day Average of Daily New Deaths Reported from the Locality dashboard.
Other dashboard updates:
- The VHHA Hospitalizations dashboard was renamed to Hospital Census Data.
- Hospital census data from the Virginia Hospital and Healthcare Association (VHHA) will be used to show the capacity and needs of hospitals in Virginia. These data are collected directly from hospitals.
- Hospital census data is not able to be broken down for demographic information, like age, sex, and race/ethnicity. It is also not broken down by geography.
- VDH case investigation-based hospitalizations were renamed to “hospital admissions”.
- Different time periods were added to the dashboards to view COVID-19 data across the pandemic for the past 13 weeks, past 26 weeks, past 1 year, and all reporting since the pandemic began.
- The COVID-19 Vaccine Dashboards and corresponding datasets have a new reporting schedule. Changed from daily reporting to Monday through Friday.
- The Health Equity dashboard was relocated to COVID-19 Data Insights.
December 1, 2021 Website Changes
The following changes were made to the COVID-19 Cases dashboard on December 1, 2021:
- Cases are now shown by week during which symptom onset began, instead of by the date of symptom onset.
- Hospitalizations are displayed by week of hospitalization admit date.
- Deaths are displayed by week of date of death.
- Cases, hospitalizations, and deaths are now shown with more geographic detail by when symptoms onset began (event date).
- COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations are now available at the locality (city/county) level.
- COVID-19 deaths are now available at the health district.
- To determine a health district, visit the VDH Geography Locator Tool.
- The 7-day moving average has been removed.
- The About the Data web page will update to reflect these changes.
August 16, 2021 Website Changes
The Virginia Department of Health (VDH) continues to track COVID-19 data to keep Virginia healthy and safe.
Some changes to the COVID-19 data dashboards and web pages will occur on Monday, August 16, 2021. These changes will help make it easier to follow the data and learn more about COVID-19 in Virginia.
Here are the changes:
- The name of the Daily Dashboard web page will change to COVID-19 Data.
- There is a new Level of Community Transmission dashboard on the COVID-19 Data web page. It shows the level of spread of COVID-19 in your region, city, or county. This dashboard launched on Friday, August 13.
- These dashboards will move from COVID-19 Data Insights to COVID-19 Data:
- Cases by Vaccination Status
- VHHA Hospitalizations
- These dashboards will move from COVID-19 Data to COVID-19 Data Insights:
- Zip Code
- Key Measures
- The name of the Key Measures dashboard will change to Cases and Deaths by Date Reported.
- These dashboards are no longer available as of July 1, 2021 because the COVID-19 emergency declaration in Virginia ended. The buttons to these dashboards on COVID-19 Data Insights will be removed.
- COVID-19 Outbreaks by Selected Exposure Settings
- COVID-19 Outbreaks in Virginia Colleges and Universities
- The About the Data web page will update to reflect these changes.
Opens pdf to download
Opens in a new window