U.S. & World Antimicrobial Awareness Week
November 18-24, 2021
U.S. Antibiotic Awareness Week (USAAW)
Antibiotic Awareness Week is an annual one-week observance that gives participating organizations an opportunity to raise awareness of the importance of appropriate antibiotic use to combat the threat of antibiotic resistance. Please join us for the following events and take advantage of the resources below to help bring awareness to health care providers and patients during this important week.
WHO Antibiotic Awareness Week
World Antimicrobial Awareness Week (WAAW) is celebrated from 18-24 November every year. The 2021 theme, Spread Awareness, Stop Resistance, calls on One Health stakeholders, policymakers, health care providers, and the general public to be Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR) Awareness champions.
For more information about WAAW activities, the new Go Blue for AMR campaign, stories and resources, click here!
Check Out the Following Events During USAAW
- New DATA on antibiotic use (AU), antibiotic resistance (AR), and COVID-19
- Updated Stewardship Report (In progress)
- Antibiotic Use in the United States, 2020 Update: Progress and Opportunities
- National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) AU Data Report
- Core Elements of Hospital Antibiotic Stewardship
- Antibiotic Stewardship training course
- U.S. National Action Plan for Combating Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria (CARB), 2020-2025
- Updated Partner Toolkit
- Be Antibiotics Aware educational materials
- 2019 map - Core Elements of Hospital Antibiotic Stewardship Programs by State
- 2018 map - Outpatient Antibiotic Prescriptions by State (previous & revised methodology)
- Download, share, and distribute Be Antibiotics Aware educational materials.
- Watch and share “The Right Tool” TV Public Service Announcement and “Antibiotics Aren’t Always the Answer” animated video, both short and long videos.
- Use social media to spark conversation on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn.
- Join the Global Twitter Storm on Wednesday, November 18 from 9-10 AM EST.
- Use #AntibioticResistance and #WAAW for the Twitter Storm.
- Start the Twitter Storm with the following Tweet:
- #AntibioticResistance is one of the most urgent global threats to the public’s health. Any time #antibiotics are used, they can cause side effects and contribute to the development of antibiotic resistance.
- Post the Be Antibiotics Aware web buttons to your website or blog.