The HAI/AR Team
Sarah Lineberger, MPH - HAI Program Manager
Shaina Bernard, PharmD, BCPS - AR Coordinator
Rehab Abdelfattah, MD, MPH, CIC - Clinical Investigations Consultant
Mounika Bazar, MPH - COVID-19 Infection Control Consultant
Andrea Chapman, MPH, CHOP, CIC - Regional Infection Prevention Coordinator
Smrithi Chikkala, MBBS, MPH - HAI Training & Communications Assistant
Carolyn Kiefer, RN, BSN, CIC - Regional Infection Prevention Coordinator
Lindsey Lambert - HAI/AR Administrator
Taye Osunlalu, MPH- Antimicrobial Stewardship Epidemiologist
Allison O'Rourke, MPH- MDRO Prevention Epidemiologist
Angela Spleen, PhD - Infection Prevention Training & Communications Coordinator
Emily Valencia, MPH - AR Epidemiologist
Emily Varvil, MPH - IPC Policy Research Specialist
Regional Infection Prevention
Virginia Department of Health Contacts & Resources for Infection Prevention
Contact your local health department and ask to speak to someone in communicable disease control (such as the epidemiologist or communicable disease nurse) to report cases of disease, outbreaks, or ask infection prevention-related questions.
The VDH HAI/AR Program is housed in the Division of Clinical Epidemiology, within the Office of Epidemiology. These programs are responsible for monitoring the occurrence of reportable and emerging diseases or suspected outbreaks of illness, providing recommendations and guidance to prevent the spread of communicable diseases, and investigating outbreaks of disease and other public health emergencies.
- Epidemiology Fact Sheets
- Division of Disease Prevention
- Maintains a variety of programs to eliminate, prevent, and control disease, disability, and death caused by HIV/AIDS, viral hepatitis, other sexually transmitted diseases, and tuberculosis.
- Tuberculosis (TB) Control and Prevention Program
- For more information on TB in healthcare settings, click here to go to the Other Infections and Conditions page of the VDH HAI website.
- Division of Immunization
- Tracks trends in vaccine-preventable diseases; maintains the Virginia Immunization Information System (VIIS), the statewide immunization registry for the public and private sectors; manages the Virginia Vaccines for Children program; coordinates the Virginia Perinatal Hepatitis B Prevention Program; and runs the Virginia Adult Hepatitis B Initiative
- Also includes the Division of Environmental Epidemiology, Division of Pharmacy Services, and Division of Radiological Health.
The Office of Emergency Preparedness provides information on personal preparedness and facility preparedness for natural and man-made emergencies.
The Office of Environmental Health protects the public’s health by preventing the transmission of disease through food, milk, shellfish, water, and sewage in partnership with other agencies to protect the environment.
- Food safety – provides information on food regulations as well as foodborne disease data and food recalls.
- For questions about bed bugs, contact the Bedding and Upholstered Furniture Inspection Program.
- Administers state licensing programs for hospitals, outpatient surgical hospitals, nursing facilities, home care organizations, and hospice programs;
- Conducts inspections to satisfy state licensure requirements;
- Investigates consumer complaints regarding the quality of health care services received.
For nursing homes – more information on working with the VDH Office of Licensure and Certification
For more general information about licensure and certification, please see Licensure and Certification.