UPDATE: Licensing portal live for new applicants only
HCOs interested in renewing their license SHOULD NOT request access to the portal or submit renewal applications (paper or electronic) at this time. VDH OLC will announce when it will begin accepting renewal applications.
Phase I of the online application portal for its licensing programs has launched for applications for new licenses. Renewal of licenses, exemptions (for hospices and HCOs), and changes to licenses are launching later this spring. Please use the VDH OLC Portal button to access the new system if you are applying for a new license.
Kimberly Beazley, Director
The Office of Licensure and Certification (OLC) works to ensure that the quality of healthcare delivered by providers is safe, cost effective and compliant with all state and federal laws. In partnership with stakeholders, we work to increase appropriate access to health care services and to promote the quality of life for all patients in a professional manner.
The OLC administers four state licensing programs:
In addition, the OLC administers the state's certification and registration programs for:
- Managed Care Health Insurance Plans (MCHIPs)
- Private Review Agents (PRAs)
- Certificate of Public Need (COPN)
The OLC is also the state survey agency for the U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services as well evaluating laboratories that perform diagnostic testing on human specimens (including physicians offices, hospitals, and nursing homes) under the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments of 1988 (CLIA) Program.
In addition to regulatory compliance inspections and surveys, the OLC is responsible for actively supervising the Cooperative Agreement on behalf of the State Health Commissioner and for investigating consumer complaints regarding the quality of health care services received. These inspections are conducted by medical facilities inspectors who are health care professionals such as physicians, registered nurses, dietitians, social workers and laboratory medical technologists. The training and development of providers and OLC staff on these matters is conducted and coordinated by the Training Unit.
Click below to access application portal
- If you are a new user WITHOUT A LICENSE, click the button above and then select "Login" in the upper right hand corner of the portal. On the Login page, you will need to click on the "Request access" link in the lower right hand corner. Fill out the required information in the form and submit the request.
- A supervisor for your licensing program will review the user account request for approval.
- Once the request is approved, you will then receive an email directing you to login for the first time.
- If you have a license, please do not request a user account at this time. VDH OLC is in the process of importing existing licensing data and requesting a user access account during this process will impede the data import.
- If you are a returning user (i.e., you have a user account), click the button above and select "Login" in the upper right hand corner of the portal, then login in with your username and password.