In addition to regulatory compliance inspections, the OLC investigates consumer complaints regarding the health care services received at the facilities and services it licenses or certifies: nursing facilities, inpatient and outpatient hospitals, home care organizations, hospice programs, dialysis facilities, clinical laboratories, and managed care organizations.
If the concerns relate to the provision of health care services, an investigation is conducted and complainants receive notice of the results of that investigation. If the concerns are not found to be a violation of applicable law or regulation, complainants are informed of available options. Please note that OLC's oversight authority does not extend to provider fees, charges or billing practices.
Consumers are encouraged to address their concerns directly with the medical care entity whenever possible, as most want to be informed if there is dissatisfaction with the care delivered.
Do not hesitate, however, to contact the OLC with complaints that may seriously jeopardize patient health and safety. The earlier an incident is reported, the better opportunity of a thorough investigation of your concerns.
If you have any questions regarding this process or your complaint, feel free to contact us.
- Provide your name, telephone number, and address; anonymous reports must be made in writing.
- Identify the name and address of the medical care entity being reported.
- Provide a detailed summary of concerns.
- Provide additional details as requested by the hotline staff.
Toll Free: 1-800-955-1819
Metro Richmond area: (804) 367-2106
Messages left after normal business hours, on weekends or holidays will be returned the next business day.
- Select either the Nursing Facility Complaint Form or the Other Licensed Entity Complaint Form.
- Complete the form in its entirety; be as thorough as possible.
- Attach any available copies of documents related to your concerns.
- Submit the written form and applicable documents by one of the methods listed below:
By US Mail:
VDH Office of Licensure and Certification<
ATTN: Complaint Unit
9960 Mayland Drive, Suite 401
Henrico, VA 23233-1463
By FAX: 1-804-527-4503
By EMAIL: OLC-Complaints@vdh.virginia.gov