Make sure you're filing the complaint with the right state agency!
If you wish to file a complaint against an assisted living facility, please contact the Department of Social Services (DSS) here with your complaint. Not sure whether the facility you're complaining about is a nursing home or an assisted living facility? You can use our Inspection and Survey library to search for nursing homes and DSS's assisted living facility search.
If you wish to file a complaint against a physician's office or an individual health care provider (e.g., physician, nurse, etc.), please contact the Department of Health Professions here with your complaint.
In addition to regulatory compliance inspections, the OLC investigates consumer complaints regarding the health care services received at the facilities and services it licenses or certifies:
|Hospital (inpatient, outpatient, psychiatric, and ambulatory surgical center)
Nursing home (also known as nursing facility or skilled nursing facility)
End stage renal disease facility
Home care organization
Home health agency
Organ transplant program
Laboratory and diagnostic testing
Managed care health insurance plan carrier
|Psychiatric residential treatment facility
Intermediate care facility for individuals with intellectual disabilities
Community mental health center
Inpatient rehabilitation facility
Outpatient rehabilitation providers
Comprehensive outpatient rehabilitation facility
Rural health clinic
Private review agent
If the concerns relate to the provision of health care services, an investigation is conducted and complainants receive notice of the results of that investigation. If the concerns are not found to be a violation of applicable law or regulation, complainants are informed of available options.
Consumers are encouraged to address their concerns directly with the medical care entity whenever possible, as most want to be informed if there is dissatisfaction with the care delivered.
Do not hesitate, however, to contact the OLC with complaints that may seriously jeopardize patient health and safety. The earlier an incident is reported, the better opportunity of a thorough investigation of your concerns.
If you have any questions regarding this process or your complaint, feel free to contact us.
- Provide your name, telephone number, and address; anonymous reports must be made in writing.
- Identify the name and address of the medical care entity being reported.
- Provide a detailed summary of concerns.
- Provide additional details as requested by the hotline staff.
Toll Free: 1-800-955-1819
Metro Richmond area: (804) 367-2106
Messages left after normal business hours, on weekends or holidays will be returned the next business day.
- Select the Nursing Facility Complaint Form, the Other Licensed Entity Complaint Form, or the MCHIP Enrollee Complaint Form.
- Complete the form in its entirety; be as thorough as possible. You may file anonymous complaints by leaving the "Person Filing Out Complaint Form"/"Complainant" section blank. Please note OLC will not be able to contact anonymous complainants to obtain additional information or to share of the results of the investigation.
- Attach any available copies of documents related to your concerns.
- Submit the written form and applicable documents by one of the methods listed below:
By US Mail:
VDH Office of Licensure and Certification
ATTN: Complaint Unit
9960 Mayland Drive, Suite 401
Henrico, VA 23233-1463
By FAX: 1-804-527-4503
By EMAIL: OLC-Complaints@vdh.virginia.gov