The BH-LRP Application Cycle opens October 1 and closes April 15 of each year.
The 2021 General Assembly established a $1.6 million Virginia Behavioral Health Student Loan Repayment Program (BH-LRP) to help recruit and retain behavioral health (BH) professionals to practice in underserved areas of the Commonwealth and/or provide counseling and treatment to underserved populations. This program will repay a portion of an eligible BH professional’s student loan debt. In return, recipients commit to practicing in Virginia for a minimum of two years at an eligible site.
- Eligible BH-SLRP practice sites include behavioral health authorities or community services boards, federally qualified health centers, free clinics/hybrid clinics, rural health clinics, state mental health or correctional facilities, and nonprofit organizations serving uninsured or medically underserved populations and/or communities
- Priority will be given to eligible BH professionals of color, those who speak more than one language fluently, and/or those who practice in one of Virginia’s many mental health professional shortage areas
- Total award amount will not exceed 25% of student loan debt (annual limits include $30,000 for Psychiatrists and Psych NPs and $20,000 for Psychologists, LPCs, and LCSWs)
- No employer or community match is required
BH-SLRP awardees must possess a valid and unrestricted license to practice in Virginia in one of theVDH BH SLRP flyer following disciplines:
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatrists,
- Psychiatric Nurse Practitioners (Psych NPs),
- Licensed Clinical Psychologists,
- Licensed Professional Counselors (LPCs),
- Licensed Clinical Social Workers (LCSWs).
ELIGIBILITY GUIDELINES/REQUIRED FORMS:
Please send questions to: Kiara Christian, Health Workforce Coordinator at email@example.com, 804- 659-3952
or Olivette Burroughs, Statewide Health Workforce Manager firstname.lastname@example.org or call 804-864-7431.