Environmental Health Services


Environmental Health documents and investigates residents’ complaints about environmental health problems, including reports of food and waterborne disease, mosquito problems, improper sewage disposal, and other public health issues.

Food Services

Local health department staff inspect and issue required permits to such food service establishments as school cafeterias, restaurants, food stands at community events, camps, day care centers, B&B’s, and migrant camps. They work with those who provide prepared food to the public to help assure that food is wholesome and healthy. The local health department is responsible for working with local dairies to assure a healthy product, free of disease. This is done through regular inspections and ongoing input into dairy operations.

Drinking Water

Environmental health staff provides assistance to property owners who have or desire to have private wells on their property. They assist with required activities and issue, upon proper documentation and payment of fees, permits for private onsite wells. Each county health department maintains records on properties with private onsite wells.

Sewage Disposal

Environmental health staff provides assistance to residents who desire to or already have onsite sewage disposal systems on their own or their rented property. This assistance includes providing the activities, referral and documentation necessary to obtain required permits for onsite sewage disposal. Each county health department maintains records on properties with onsite sewage disposal systems.

Tourism and Recreation

The environmental health staff inspects and permits all public swimming pools, hotels, inns, and B&B’s in the District.


Environmental health staff investigates potential rabies exposures. This includes investigating cases of humans who have suffered an animal bite, domestic pets exposed to potentially rabid animals and quarantining animals involved in biting incidents. Staff facilitates the testing of animals for rabies. The Community Health Division of the local health department also assists in potential rabies exposures by helping to assure that people receive necessary treatment to protect themselves from rabies. Residents who have been bitten by an animal, had direct contact with a bat, whose pets or livestock have had contact with potentially rabid animals (ex. skunks, raccoons, foxes), or who otherwise have a concern about rabies or rabies treatment should contact their local health department.