The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC) helps pregnant women, mothers, infants and young children stay healthy and eat right during important times of growth.
Program services include:
- Quality nutrition education and counseling
- Breastfeeding support, services and supplies
- A healthy food package including fruits, vegetables, whole grains, milk & more
- Referrals to community partners and access to prenatal, maternal and pediatric health care services.
The Women, Infants and Children Program (WIC) is offered through your local health department and is funded by the United States Department of Agriculture (U.S.D.A.). WIC provides Federal grants to States for supplemental foods, health care referrals, and nutrition education for low-income pregnant, breastfeeding, and non-breastfeeding postpartum women, and to infants and children up to age five who are found to be at nutritional risk. WIC focuses on the overall good health of women, infants, and children, encourages healthy pregnancy outcomes, and promotes healthy eating habits that follow current U.S.D.A. recommendations.
For more information on the WIC program, please visit the USDA website or the Virginia Department of Health’s website.
Days of Operation
- Monday-Friday (Winchester)
- Tuesday (Page)
- Wednesday (Warren)
- Monday and Thursday (Shenandoah)
Our WIC clinics are currently experiencing understaffing and if you have not received a call back in a reasonable amount of time:
- Contact SWO at 835-5942 or TELLWIC@vdh.virginia.gov
- Visit a WIC office based on where you live (refer to days of operation)
Applying for Services
To be eligible for the WIC Program, applicants must meet categorical, residential, income or nutrition risk requirements. See if you are eligible to apply!
Medical Referral Form Pickup at county offices – to be completed at MD checkups to create more efficient appointment time spent in other areas. Download the Medical Referral Form.
WIC staff have access to Language Interpretation Services which provides worldwide language support.