The Prince William Health District (PWHD) operates multiple programs to protect and improve the health and well-being of its residents. Services provided include:
- Environmental health services, including restaurant and pool inspections
- Woman and teen wellness
- Confidential diagnosis, treatment, and counseling for sexually transmitted diseases
- Tuberculosis screening and diagnostic chest x-rays
- Confidential HIV testing and early intervention services
- Nutritional education and food vouchers for women, infants, and children (WIC) clients
- Processing of marriage, divorce, birth and death certificates
- Every Woman's Life breast and cervical cancer screenings
- Investigation and response of emerging diseases of public health threat and other reportable diseases
Services are provided at several different locations throughout the community.
Vision: Prince William Health District, a community of healthy people and a healthy environment.
Mission: The Prince William Health District (PWHD) is dedicated to promoting optimum wellness and a healthy environment. As the community’s Chief Health Strategist, PWHD will work beyond traditional public health programs and services to build strong cross-sector community coalitions that address the social determinants of health to ensure health equity, and to make PWHD the healthiest community in Virginia.
What Does Public Health Look Like in the Prince William Health District?
Public Health is the science of protecting and improving the health of entire populations through promotion of healthy lifestyles, disease and injury prevention and detection and control of infectious diseases. Our population includes Prince William County, Manassas City and Manassas Park.
Unlike clinical professionals, who focus primarily on treating individuals after they become sick or injured, as public health professionals we try to prevent problems from happening or recurring by implementing educational programs, recommending policies, administering services and conducting research. We work with local, regional and national partners to limit health disparities and promote healthcare equity, quality and accessibility.