Birth and Death Certificates
Death Records (Updated effective July 1, 2017)
Beginning July 1, 2017 funeral homes can file death certificates regardless of the locality of death at any local health department vital records office within the Commonwealth of Virginia. Death Certificates will continue to be available at the Prince William Health District (PWHD) for individuals who have died in Prince William County (including the towns of Dumfries, Haymarket, Occoquan, and Quantico), Manassas, or Manassas Park. PWHD will be able to generate death certificates that were electronically filed for all localities within the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Birth and death certificates are maintained by Virginia’s Office of Vital Records in Richmond. Vital Records are available to immediate family members only: mother, father, husband, wife, adult son or daughter, brother, sister, grandparents, and adult grandchildren with valid ID.
· Aunts, uncles, cousins, in-laws, ex-spouses, etc. cannot obtain a vital record.
· Birth records become public information after 100 years; and death, marriage, and divorce records after 25 years.
Please call 703-792-7327 for additional information or visit the Prince William Health District Business Office.
Prince William Health District Office of Vital Records
The Office of Vital Records in Prince William County is located at the Euclid Business Center and serve Prince William County (towns of Dumfries, Haymarket, Occoquan, and Quantico) and the cities of Manassas and Manassas Park. Our office hours are Monday – Friday from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
Prince William Health District – Office of Vital Records
8470 Kao Circle
Manassas, VA 20110
Direct Phone Number: 703.792.7327
Functions of the Prince William Health District Vital Records:
· Request copies of death certificates for all deaths occurring in Prince William County, and the cities of Manassas and Manassas Park during the past 5 years and electronically filed certificates from other localities.
· Certify death certificate applications.
· Live birth certificates are certified (births that occurred outside of the hospital).
· Request a Verification of Death Letter.
· Issue out of state transit permits.
For information on how to obtain a Certified Vital Record, please visit the Virginia Department of Health Office of Vital Records website: http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/vital-records/
You may also reach the Office of Vital Records at 804.662.6200.
Birth, Marriage, and Divorce Records
You may request birth certificates at the Office of Vital Records in Richmond or at select Department of Motor Vehicles throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia. Marriage and divorce records can only be obtained at the Office of Vital Records in Richmond.