Antibiotic resistance is a global issue that threatens the health and lives of everyone regardless of age, socioeconomic status or country. Misuse of antibiotics contributes to this growing problem. Practicing proper Antibiotic Stewardship to reduce inappropriate and misuse of antibiotics will help to reduce antibiotic resistance. The Virginia Healthcare Associated Infection (HAI) Advisory Group identified the need for healthcare worker education for Antibiotic Stewardship.
Offered below are three on-demand education modules to introduce nurses, pharmacists and practitioners to the basics of an appropriate Antibiotic Stewardship Program (ASP). Successful completion of the module and posttest will enable you to gain continuing education credits for your specific license if you are a nurse, pharmacist, or practitioner.
At the completion of this activity, the participant will be able to:
- Define Antibiotic Stewardship
- Discuss the benefits of having an Antibiotic Stewardship Program (ASP)
- List guideline recommendations for implementing an ASP
- Describe Antibiotic Stewardship strategies in the hospital setting
- Outline specific initiatives to meet regulatory requirements