Clinic Services

Family Planning/Women’s Specialty, Sexually Transmitted Infections (STI) and Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) services are provided. Clinical fees or charges are based on income and eligibility requirements. The Immunization Clinic is open to everyone; however, patients may be charged a fee depending on which vaccines and services are needed. Hampton Health Department and Peninsula Health Department are open different hours, so please read on to find your clinic and their hours of operation. Please bring shot record, forms to be completed, insurance information, and document with legal name. Vaccines required for school in Virginia are provided free to children 18 and under. Chargeable vaccines may be paid by cash, check, Visa or MasterCard. Appointments required.

Please bring: government issued I.D., insurance card (if insured), and 3 recent paystubs (if employed) to your appointment. 

Both Hampton Health Department and Peninsula Health Department offer the following services:

  • Family Planning
  • STI
  • PrEP
  • Immunizations
    • Find your child's vaccine schedule here

Hampton Health District Clinical Services

Peninsula Health District Clinical Services

Clinical Services FAQs

Can anyone get immunizations at the Health Department?

Anyone is eligible to receive shots at the health department. You do not have to be a Hampton-Peninsula Health District resident or be at any certain income level. We encourage you to have a primary care provider that coordinates your care and provides all your health services, including immunizations, but we are here to serve you when needed.

Do immunizations cost me anything?

Any childhood vaccine required for school entry in Virginia is provided free of charge. A fee is charged for non-school-required childhood vaccines, and most adult vaccines, TB assessments. Cash, check, Visa, and MasterCard may be used to pay for these. We can bill some private insurance companies but must confirm coverage first.

What do I need to bring with me?

  • Your or your child’s shot record
  • Hospital record of an infant who received Hepatitis B vaccine at birth
  • Any forms you need us to complete
  • Insurance information
  • A document that shows the legal name of the person receiving services

When are shots needed?

See links below:

What shots does my child need to attend daycare or school in Virginia?

Daycare/school Immunization requirements

I need a TB (Tuberculosis) test – Where do I go?

TB skin tests (PPD’s) are not given on request. A TB assessment must be done to find out if there is a need for the PPD. One of our nurses will ask you questions about TB symptoms and possible risk for exposure to TB and decide whether you need to have a PPD. TB risk assessments are done every weekday except Thursdays.

I am traveling out of the country. What do I need?

As of March 1, 2010, Hampton Health Department no longer provides travel immunization services.  Information is available at

Do you give rabies shots? I have been bitten by an animal. What do I do?

Pre-exposure rabies vaccine series is given to people who work in areas at risk for exposure to rabies such as veterinary clinics, nature parks, zoos, etc., or who will be handling animals during foreign travel. This series must be scheduled in advance.

Post-exposure rabies shots must be administered by a physician.  This is typically done in the hospital emergency room.  If you are bitten, the Environmental Health Department is available for consultation to you or your physician.

If you are a Hampton resident, please call (757) 727-2570 for further information.

If you are a resident of Newport News, Poquoson, James City County, Williamsburg, or York County, please call (757) 594-7340 for further information.

For more information on immunizations visit the following links:



How do I dispose of my medical waste, such as used syringes?

At this time, the Hampton & Peninsula Health Districts do not have syringe services programs. You can follow this link to learn how to properly dispose of your medical waste.

Health Info/Links

Local Hospitals