As of July 21st, 2023, the HPHD Internship Program has reached maximum capacity and is not accepting additional applications at this time. Please refer to this page for further updates.
If you are interested in learning about business and fiscal procedures, especially as they pertain to a public health department, the Business Office is for you!
• Accounts Receivable
• Accounts Payable
• Contracts Management
• Facilities Management
• Health & Human Services Grants Management
If you are interested in learning about Environmental Health, including restaurant inspections, water quality checks, and more, Environmental Health is for you!
- Hotels/TES (Tourist Establishments)
- Onsite – Septic/Wells
- Summer Camps/Camp Grounds
- Swimming Pools/Marinas
- Water Quality/Beach Water Monitoring
If you are interested in learning about Emergency Preparedness & Response (EP&R), including health department response to public health emergencies, exercise development, program evaluation, the Medical Reserve Corps, and more, then EP&R is for you!
- Public Health Emergencies (pandemics, bioterrorism, etc.)
- Incident Command System
- Medical Reserve Corps
- Public Health Exercises and Development
- Program Planning and Evaluation
- Discrete Populations - Nursing Homes, Incarcerated, etc.
- Hazard Vulnerability Assessments
If you are interested in learning about disease and infection control, data analysis, and more, Epidemiology is for you!
- Applied Epidemiology
- Data Analysis
- Infectious Disease
If you are interested in becoming a nurse, and have an interest in community health, family planning, immunizations, or WIC, Nursing is for you!
• Community Health & Communicable Disease
• Family Planning Clinic
• Immunization Clinic
• Sexually Transmitted Infections (STI) Clinic
• WIC – Women, Infants, & Children
If you are interested in learning about population health, social determinants of health, and community-wide health initiatives, Population Health is for you!
• Community Health Assessment and Community Health Improvement Plans (CHA-CHIP)
• Gun and/or Community Violence
• Food Insecurity
• Substance Use Disorder Programming
• Community Programming and Outreach Events
Frequently Asked Questions
Your application, along with a copy of your resume or Curriculum Vitae, should be submitted to: InternshipHPHD@vdh.virginia.gov. Please be sure to fill out the application and save it, as there is not a feature to submit the application from your browser window.
Unfortunately, we do not offer work experience internships. We would encourage you look into our Medical Reserve Corps (MRC) volunteer program at www.vdh.virginia.gov/mrc
Internships/Practicum Opportunities are constantly changing with the availability of preceptors and projects. Please send a completed application with specific areas of interest filled out and we will let you know about opportunities.
- Must be at least 18 years of age;
- Legally eligible for employment in the United States in compliance with the immigration Reform and Control Act;
- Be enrolled in an undergraduate degree program, a Master’s or terminal degree candidate at a College or University (in state or out of state) or, Graduated with a Associate’s, Bachelor’s, Master’s or terminal degree program at a College or University (in state or out of state) within the last 12 months;
- Have a 3.0 cumulate minimum GPA; and
- Ability to pass a criminal background investigation with the Virginia State Police
Hampton & Peninsula Health Districts' internship/practicum is not paid, though we hope we can offer paid internships in the future.
However, the VDH Summer Internship Academy offers paid internships, and you may be placed with the Hampton & Peninsula Health Districts depending on your location. This is an internship opportunity that is separate from the Hampton & Peninsula Health Districts' internship/practicum opportunities. To learn more about a paid internship with VDH, please click here.
If you have any questions, you may email InternshipHPHD@vdh.virginia.gov or call Robin Williford at (757) 315-3781 or (757) 594-7503, or Susan Reith at (757) 594-8014.