Firearm Safety Tips
- Store firearms unloaded and locked with a firearm safe, locked box, trigger or
- Store and LOCK ammunition in a separate place from your firearms.
- Remove firearms from your home if you have a depressed or suicidal family member
If you are a parent or caregiver,
- Before you send your child to someone’s house:
- ASK if firearms in the home are stored unloaded and locked.
- ASK if the ammunition is stored separately.
- ASK if there are shotguns and rifles in the home too, not just handguns.
- Invite the children to play at your home if you have doubts about the
safety of someone else’s home.
- Talk to your child about risk.
- Talk with your children about the risk of firearm injury in places they may visit or play.
- Teach your child that if they find a firearm, leave it alone and let an adult know right away.
- Instruct your child to leave the room immediately and tell an adult if another child shows him or her a weapon.