The 1996 Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA) Amendments include requirements for states to (1) obtain authority to prevent the creation of new nonviable COMMUNITY and NONTRANSIENT NONCOMMUNITY waterworks, (2) to develop a strategy to address the capacity of all existing waterworks, and (3) to ensure that potential State Revolving Fund (SRF) recipients have sufficient, technical, managerial, and financial capacity prior to receiving funds (or that the funds will allow them to receive the capacity they require). The Office of Drinking Water chose to develop a comprehensive Capacity Development Strategy (revised Strategy approved by EPA January 2022) that includes all of the SDWA required elements and includes provisions for asset management planning relating to the American Water Infrastructure Act (AWIA).
Staff performs a technical, managerial and financial capacity assessment of existing waterworks and utilizes the assessment in directing Office resources to assist waterworks in complying with the SDWA. Reports to the Governor and the public are due every three years from March 6, 2002. Reports to EPA are due annually.
- Capacity Development Strategy Report to the Governor (2017)
- Capacity Development Strategy Report to the Governor (2020)
- 2020 Commonwealth of Virginia Capacity Development Annual Implementation Report to the EPA
- 2021 Commonwealth of Virginia Capacity Development Annual Implementation Report to the EPA
- 2022 Commonwealth of Virginia Capacity Development Annual Implementation Report to the EPA
In an effort to provide enhanced technical assistance to the water utilities community in the Commonwealth of Virginia, the Office of Drinking Water will utilize this webpage for announcements and opportunities related to improving the technical, managerial and financial capacity of your waterworks. As such; below are links to training opportunities and to websites. If you have questions regarding anything on the Capacity Development Program, please contact Barry E. Matthews.
- Request for Resources
- Waterworks Business Operations Plan
- AWWA Resource Community
- EPA - Capacity Development
- Virginia Optimization Program (2020) / (2012 pdf)
Additional Web Content
Sustainability Coordinators can be reached utilizing the contact information below:
Ms. Julie Floyd, Supervisor
Ms. Jeanean B. Francis
Ms. Denise Houchins
Mr. Jarrett Talley
Capacity Development Service Areas