ID Requirements

The State Registrar reserves the right (§32.1-271C) to accept or deny any application submitted.

Anyone requesting a vital record must submit a photocopy of their identification. The acceptable documents listed may change without prior notice.

Who is entitled to obtain records- next of kin/immediate family which includes mother, father, husband, wife, child, brother, sister with valid ID. Newborn babies and children will not have ID; therefore, the parent’s ID is required.

Primary Documents

  • Photo Driver’s License issued by U.S. state, territory, or jurisdiction (unexpired or expired for not more than one year)
  • Learners/Instruction Permit issue by U.S. state, territory or jurisdiction (unexpired or expired for not more than one year)
  • Photo Identification Card issued by U.S. state, territory, or jurisdiction (unexpired or expired for not more than one year)
  • Current Photo Identification Card – (school or employment with identification number; check cashing cards are not acceptable)
  • Unexpired U.S. Military Card of an active duty or retired member
  • U.S. Passport or passport card – unexpired
  • Unexpired Foreign Passport with Visa, I-94 or I-94W
  • U.S. Certificate of Naturalization (form N-550, N-570, N-578)
  • US Certificate of Citizenship (form N-560, N-561)
  • U.S. Citizen Identification Card (form I-197)
  • Temporary Resident Card (unexpired form I-688)
  • Employment Authorization Document (unexpired form I-766)
  • Refugee Travel Document (unexpired form I-571)
  • Resident Alien Card (unexpired form I-551)
  • Permanent Resident Card (unexpired form I-551)
  • Northern Marianas Card (unexpired form I-551)
  • Asylum – A copy of the first and last page of application for Asylum
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (form FS-240)
  • Certification of Report of Birth of a U.S. citizen (DS-1350)
  • Virginia Criminal Justice Agency Offender Information Form
  • U.S. Probation Offender Information Form
  • Certificate of Birth Abroad (FS-545)

Secondary Documents (Require two of below selections)

  • U.S. Selective Service Card
  • U.S. Military Discharge Papers (form DD214)
  • Certified School Records/Transcript issued by a U.S. state or territory
  • Certificate of Enrollment  issued by Virginia Department of Education
  • Life insurance policy
  • Health care insurance card – (i.e. Medicare Card, Medicaid Card)
  • Unexpired Welfare/Social Services identification card with photo  issued by municipality
  • State issued driver’s license or learner’s/instruction permit with photo; expired not more than 5 years
  • State issued photo identification card –  expired not more than 5 years
  • U.S. Passport or passport card – expired not more than 5 years
  • Unexpired Military Dependent I.D. card with photo
  • Foreign Passport – expired not more than 5 years with a U.S. VISA
  • Unexpired weapon or gun permit issued by federal, state or municipal government
  • Unexpired pilot license
  • Veteran’s Universal Access Identification Card
  • INS form I-797 (applicable only for the individual whose name appears on the form)
  • USCIS student or dependent  SEVIS I-20 with or without USCIS stamp (Applicant’s name must appear on the form)
  • U.S. Department of State form DS-2019 (Applicant’s name must appear on the form)

If you have none of the above identification and are requesting a birth certificate for your child, please provide a letter from the hospital (their letterhead) where the child was born along with a letter (their letterhead) from the health care provider who provided the mother prenatal care. The letter from the health care provider shall include the dates prenatal care began and ceased, name of the mother and the name, signature and title of the person preparing the letter.

VA Dept of Health, Office of Vital Records
P.O. Box 1000, Richmond, Virginia, 23218-1000
Information Line: (804) 662-6200