The Virginia Beach Department of Health - Vital Records Office is open Monday through Friday, 8:15am - 4:00pm
Certified copies of birth, death, marriage, and divorce certificates can be obtained from the Virginia Department Health, as long as these events occurred in Virginia. Copies of certificates can only be obtained for and by immediate family members with valid ID: mother, father, husband, wife, child, brother, sister, and/or grandparents. Aunts, uncles, cousins, in-laws, etc. cannot obtain a vital record. Birth records can be issued to the legal guardian with proof of custody papers.
Birth records become public information 100 years from the date of the event. Death/Marriage/Divorce records become public information 25 years from the date of the event.
Death certificates can be filed at and certified copies obtained from any local department in the Commonwealth of Virginia, regardless of the locality in which the death occurred. However, within the first 30 days after the filing of death, copies of the death certificate must still be obtained from the city or county in which the death was originally filed. Certified copies of death certificates are available upon request to those persons eligible to receive them (see above).
How to Receive a Vital Record:
- Via VitalChek using the following 2 methods:
- Online: https://www.vitalchek.com/
- Phone: 1-877-572-6333, Option 1
- Any local health department, except Virginia Beach, click here.
- Any full service DMV
As of April 2022, in an effort to increase accessibility and convenience, the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) has launched a new online Vital Records Application. This application can be used to request certified copies of birth, death, marriage and divorce certificates. The new online application can be accessed on the VDH website under Vital Records or directly at: www.vdh.virginia.gov/vital-records/applications-for-a-vital-record/.
Individuals can still work with their local health departments and select Department of Motor Vehicle locations to request vital records in person.
- For status updates on applications submitted via vitalchek.com, please call 1-877-572-6333, Option 2.
- For status updates on applications mailed to the headquarters office in Richmond, please call 1-804-662-6200, M-F 7:00 AM – 4:30 PM.
Completing a saved application started on www.vitalchek.com:
- To complete an application started via vitalchek.com, please call 1-877-572-6333, Option 3.
- For general questions, clients can contact the headquarters office in Richmond at 1-804-662-6200. Their hours of operation are M-F 7:00 AM – 4:30 PM.
- Visit the website at https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/vital-records/ and use the Contact Us page (https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/vital-records/contact-us/) to email Vital Records associates. There may be extended response times due to increased volume.
- Visit the Frequently Asked Questions page (https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/vital-records/frequently-asked-questions/)
For More Information
All vital records can also be obtained from the Virginia Department of Health, Division of Vital Records, 2001 Maywill Street, Suite 101, Richmond, VA 23230. The general information number is (804) 662-6200.
Certified copies of marriage licenses and divorce certificates can also be obtained from the Virginia Beach Circuit Court Clerk’s Office. The Circuit Court Clerk’s Office number is (757) 385-8827.
Information Regarding Home Births, Acknowledgement of Paternity or Corrections to be made on a birth/death record, you may contact your local health department or contact the Division of Vital Records at (804) 662-6200 or visit their Web site at www.vdh.virginia.gov.
For Information about Vital Records Out-of-State, visit Web site www.vitalcheck.com