For your convenience, you can process online requests through an independent company that Virginia Department of Health, Office of Vital Records has partnered with to provide you this service; VitalChek Network, Inc. VitalChek can be reached through their website or toll free at 877-572-6333. An additional fee is charged by VitalChek for this service, and all major credit cards are accepted, including American Express®, Discover®, MasterCard® or Visa®.
The Virginia Health Department (VDH) has contracted the VitalChek Network to help people get a certified copy of a birth, death, marriage, or divorce certificates within 2 to 5 days! Once VDH has received the VitalChek information, VDH staff members will search, print, and send a certified copy of your request. Please note that you will be required to sign for the UPS package.
- $20.80 – For each certified record
- $11.95 – VitalChek Service Fee
- $10.00 – For Foreign Authentication of a document (see Foreign Authentication on our website)
Delivery Option Fee:
- $18.50 – UPS Air – cannot deliver to a PO Box
- $17.00 – UPS 2 Day Air – cannot deliver to a PO Box
- $00.00 – United States Post Office Regular Mail (No Fee)
- ALL FEES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE
Another condition for using this system is that payment must be made by credit card. You can either phone-in your request at: 1-877-572-6333 press option 1. (To check on the status of your request, call the number above and press option 2, or you can order on line at https://www.vitalchek.com).
In addition to a credit-card number and expiration date, we require the following information:
- Type of certificate you are requesting
- Relationship to person named on the certificate
- Full name
- Date and place of event
- Mother’s full and maiden name
- Father’s name if requesting a Birth Certificate
- Full name of husband and wife if requesting a Marriage or Divorce Record
- Area code and daytime phone number
- Street Address, City/County, State and Zip Code to send the certificate
- P.O. Boxes are not accepted